ten

𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫; ˢˡⁱᵍʰᵗ ᵖᵃⁿⁱᶜ ᵃᵗᵗᵃᶜᵏ

"Comfort and peace don't come easy to people like us."

Your eyes opened, waking you from slumber. 

'Today's the day,' you thought, slightly bracing yourself for the mission. 

You started your morning as usual, not really hungover since you didn't even drink that much the night before. Once in uniform, you made your way for breakfast, taking a seat next to Moblit and your squad members. You had your green cloak still folded on the small space next to you. 

You finished your breakfast, fear, and nerves beginning to kick into your system. You ate your food slowly, afraid that the nauseous feeling of fear might begin to haunt you. Once you were done with your meal, you bid farewell to your squad members as you decided to spend some time by the stables. 

Sure, it was still early but you kind of wanted a little peace of mind and you figured you'd get it from the empty field near the stables alongside the small pond. During the whole time you've been there, you sometimes would visit that area for the scenery of nature. 

You stood beside the outer wall of the horse stables, eyes overlooking the blue water. The breeze was light and airy, the trees following the wind's guidance. You let out a deep breath, clearly still nervous and scared of what was to come. 

After a while, people began arriving at the stables to retrieve their houses. You followed suit, deciding that if you were to die that day, then, your eyes had seen enough of nature. Enough to make up for the 30 years that you lacked nature within your vision. 

Maybe not enough, but, it was something, at the very least. And in a life like yours, something counts as everything. 

Taking a deep breath, you walked towards the stables, greeting some of your fellow Scouts as you approach your horse. Gently, you pet it before letting it out to the field alongside you. Not too long after, everyone began moving towards the gate at the Wall. 

A few groups of Scouts were assisting one another in helping to lift the horses from one side of the wall to another. You met up with Hange and Levi, the three of you riding the same lift to get to the top of the Wall. Silence dawned upon you three, each of you readying yourselves for what's to come. 

But the silence was then broken. Not by Levi, Hange, nor you. It was a shout, a call, from someone below. Hange's attention was diverted towards the town below as you all noticed the accumulation of townfolks. 

"HANGE!" The same man from earlier shouted to call the scientist. "GOOD LUCK!" 

"Flegel?" Hange gaped, their voice in a dieblief state. 

"You know him?" You asked, forehead lined with creases of confusion. 

"Yeah," they nodded, eyes dared not to stray away from the crowd below. 

"TAKE IT BACK!" 

"TAKE BACK WALL MARIA FOR US!" 

"THE FUTURE OF HUMANITY IS IN YOUR HANDS!" 

Choruses of cheers echoed through the endless bounds of the blue sky. You knew the Survey Corps always lacked support from the citizens. But the sight you were seeing was extremely wholesome, you could just melt. 

And though you too, were a Scout and thus, one of the ones being cheered on, you didn't feel that way. Instead, you felt as though you were just another normal person watching as the world finally views the Scouts as heroes. But you've never really viewed them like that, either. It's just the person next to you who happened to be your one and only hero.