2. When It All Began

2018. The year when it all began.

My friend and his boyfriend broke up. I know I shouldn't have been affected but I was. Yes, I'm aware. I'm not part of their relationship. I was a mere spectator. But, heck, I was invested in their love story. I was there at the beginning of their relationship. I witnessed their love. And so in effect I believed in love. But then the breakup happened and I felt my heart breaking for my friend and for myself. It seemed like the saying, "There's no forever," is not just a string of words meant to discourage those who want to bet on love.

For the life of me, my brain could understand beginnings and endings, falling in love and breaking up (although more on a theoretical aspect). I started to believe in love and relationships but only to later become disillusioned. With my strong desire to understand things (Yes, from the most complex to the simplest things. Such is my nature.), I jumped right into researching and asking people questions. It was like I was conducting a personal informal mini-study with the goal of getting a clear and better understanding of relationships, specifically LGBTQIA+: its beginning, middle and end. But only to surprise myself when I fell down a rabbit hole called BL or Boy's Love.

Photo by Setyaki Irham on Unsplash