3. Taking the First Step

One day, I asked my unassuming bestfriend, "What is it like to be in a gay relationship?" Shock was an understatement to describe my bestie's initial reaction to my question. She actually thought that I was turning gay. We've been friends for a long time and she knew that I was straight. After pacifying her, I told her about my friend's breakup. I explained to her that I was on a quest for answers and that she would be my resource person since she had a lot of experience in this aspect.

My bestfriend was lesbian and has experienced love and heartbreak. She explained to me that straight and gay relationships were "the same but different." She told me that they get attracted, they initiate contact and try to make a connection. She added that they would date, get to know that person and if the spark was there, they would commit to a relationship.

After her concise explanation, I asked her, "Isn't that how straight relationships are too?" To which she replied, "Yes, it is but you have to think about the gender. Think about society's perception. Think about how those who are different from the norm are discriminated against. Realize that it's not just the relationship that gay people think about. They have other factors to consider. It's the same and it's different. It's an experience which only the person who is experiencing would know and understand."

Her words made me think more and motivated me to dig deeper. I wanted to understand.

Photo by Linsay Henwood on Unsplash