6. My First Thai BL

Youtube was an incredible platform. You could find a number of shows uploaded in full on this platform. It could be considered as a treasure trove for someone who was on the search for the next BL show. Youtube was where I stumbled upon my first Thai BL.

My first Thai BL was called "2 Moons". This series was based on a novel called "Moon Courting Moon" and was written by Chiffon_cake. There were two seasons of the show that were created with two different sets of cast portraying the same characters in the novel. In 2018, the version I saw was the "first season".

In season 1, the show focused on the relationship of the two out of the three couples in the novel. The main couple was Phana and Wayo. The secondary couple was Kit and Ming. These couples were joined by the third couple Forth and Beam as supporting characters. 2 Moons was a story of secret crushes and friendship. The story began with Wayo's first day in University. This was where he was reunited with his high school crush Phana. Their reunion happened during the orientation of Campus Moons. Wayo was chosen to represent his department in the said pageant. It was during the preparation for this event that Wayo got the chance to get reunited with Phana. It was also this time when Wayo, together with his best friend Ming, got to interact with Phana's best friends Kit and Beam, as well as Ming's senior in the engineering department Forth. The series was a classic case of "I've got a crush on you, you got a crush on me" and a little unrequited love on the side.

I really liked this drama because it was just pure fluff. The story was plain and simple but it was glazed with sugar that was enough to give you that sugar rush. You didn't need to think too much. It was just the right show to binge watch on a weekend after a tiring week at work or school. The actors who played the characters in the series were so cute, especially Bas Suradet who played Wayo. He was so cute that you would want to put him in your pocket and bring him home. The music was also nice to listen to, especially the opening theme song. It was definitely relaxing. It was something I'd listen to before I go to sleep. This show was like cotton candy. It could make you happy.

As the saying went, "No one is perfect. Nothing is perfect." This was especially true for 2 Moons. For those who were looking for a complicated and mind stimulating plot, this might not be the show for you. This show was so simple and straightforward that some might see it as a waste of their time. Moreover, the performance of the actors in the series was lacking as they were new in the industry. The actors, especially Godt Itthipat, was so stiff that he failed to deliver during the many emotional moments of the show. Fortunately, this young actor was good looking which was  why most of the viewers were a little forgiving of his acting ability. One thing that could have been given more consideration by the production team was the editing. I believed that it could have made some scenes flow more smoothly. Furthermore, I thought about some glaring issues about the show such as stalking. This was clearly depicted mostly in scenes between Ming and Kit. Despite these flaws in the show, I found 2 Moons fun and cute.

Once in a while, you just have to find that one show that could bring you a piece of sweetness and fluff. And for me, that show was definitely this one: 2 Moons, my first Thai BL.  If you decided to watch it, leave your expectations out the door,  throw your analytical mind out the window and just enjoy the sugar rush.

Photo Credit: mydramalist