16

10 years ago.

"Tommy, why are you running? My friends and I just want to have a little chat with you!"

I can't even answer. I am out of breath from running. Those boys have been following me for some time now and I am exhausted.

They have been bothering me since the beginning of the school year. Every time I arrive at school I try to keep my head down, afraid they will get me. They will always find something so they can yell or throw at me. Sometimes they chase me for some time before they catch me, throw me on the ground, blame me for something I didn't do, and then kick or punch me. Just like what is happening now.

Don't get me wrong. I still like going to school. There aren't any of those bullies in my class so I have lots of fun with Harold in class. We laugh with stupid things and pull pranks on the teachers. But once you step out of that classroom you are in the jungle and you watch you back every second.

"If you don't stop now you are going to be in trouble!"

The group of boys can be different from time to time but there is one person who is always there. The king of the school, Stuart Sterling. He is in the class three years above me and is three heads taller than me. Even tho he is three classes above me but he is four years older than me, he had to repeat a year. He has a lot of friends and all girls in the neighborhood love him.

I can't run for much longer. I am losing speed. If I don't stop I am going to faint but also be in trouble as they said. But it doesn't matter if I keep running or stop, they are going to beat me up either way.

"Got ya!" Stuart yells as he takes a strong grip on my left arm.

"You are not going anywhere now!" Another boy yells. He is smaller than Stuart. Probably a few years younger than me. Maybe even the same age as me. He had more luck than me. He is friends with Stuart, or at least, he doesn't get beat up. In comparison to me who has to hide or run from him every chance he gets or gets beaten up.

"Let me go!" I yell as I try to get out of his grip. But that doesn't help. Stuart is too strong.

"Oh, look at him. He is trying to get away even though Stuart told him not to," That smaller boy says, pointing at me while he looks at the other boys behind him.

"You're right. And everyone knows what happens when someone disobeys me," Stuart states.

"Beat him up!" "Punish him!" The boys behind him yell.

"Do you know why you need to be punished?" Stuart asks, pulling me closer to him by my arm. He has me in a strong grip. I think there will be bruises on my arm tomorrow.

"B- because I didn't obey you,"

"Yes, that's right. And what else?"

"W- what do you mean?"

"Are you stupid or something? Do I really need to repeat myself?" He asks raising his voice, "What else!" He yells in my face. His grip on my arm tightens even more.

"I- I don't know,"

"So you are stupid!" He yells and everyone behind him starts laughing.

"Can anyone here tell me why this little prick needs to be punished?" He asks loudly while turning his head to look at his mates.

"Because he is an annoying little fag!"

"Yes, that's right. And your annoying little boyfriend isn't here to protect you now, is he?" Stuart asks, giving another pull on my arm.

"He isn't my boyfriend."

"Sure. Try telling that to someone else. What's his name again? Harold, right?"