Chapter 1

Taryn's Pov

I was running on the treadmill in the basement with sage, my panther watching me from the corner of my eye. I had loud music playing through my headphones.

I looked up in the mirror and let out a scream seeing my mother standing behind me looking like she was just dragged through hell.

"Jesus christ mom, maybe let me know you're standing right behind me when i'm on a treadmill instead of watching me like a creep!" I said annoyed. I turned off the treadmill and my music then turned to face her.

I noticed her clothes were torn and wrinkled as if she was man-handled, her eyes were red, and her face filled with dry tears but she was smiling.

"What happened to you?" I asked and she smiled but her smile was one full of regret.

"Remember when I told you I owed money to some of the higher ups?" She asked and I nodded. She grinned and said to me "well guess what?"

"What mom?" I replied. She took my hand and dragged me to the couch in the back corner of the room, sage watching me closely now.

"You'll be living with a.......friend for a few months while I pay off the rent. I made a deal so I could have some extra time. I might be able to get you out early if my plan works too," she explained to me. I stared at her blankly, mulling over my thoughts.

On one hand, I get to live somewhere else instead of home by myself, but I would miss my mom, even if she's never here anyway. But on the other hand, I don't even know who I'm going to live with. What if they're worse than what I'm already experiencing?

"Umm ok mom," I hesitated. "Can you at least tell me who I'll be living with?"

She grimaced and that immediately raised my suspicions.

"No sweetie, but I promise you'll be fine," she reassured me.

Why wouldn't I be fine? Who is this person?

"Whatever mom," I sighed and got up, ready to walk back to the treadmill. "Just let me know when I have to leave so I can pack my bags." My mom sucked in a breath and it made me pause, looking over my shoulder to see her face scrunch up.

"Well you see," she started hesitantly. "You're leaving now, they're outside waiting for you."

"What?!" sage jumped up at my scream

My mom winced and looked at me with a sorrowful look.

"You have to pack your bags now sweetie, I'm sorry. But remember that I'll always love you." She smiled sadly

"Why are you saying this like you'll never see me again?" I asked suspiciously. "I'll only be gone for a few months right?" she frowned at me. "RIGHT MOM?" I yelled at her and she flinched but I didn't care.

"Whatever mom, don't expect me to welcome you in open arms the next time I see you," I stated before grabbing my phone and walking out the door, sage on my heels as I stormed into my room.

"This is bad," sage said and I turned to glare at him.

"Yea no shit sherlock. How did you figure out that one?" I asked sarcastically.

He growled at me before disappearing inside my mind.

"Oh yeah that's great. Leave right when things are actually getting serious like you always do," I rolled my eyes as I watched sage jump into my rings.

You see sage is what people call your spirit animal, only I can see or hear him except for some of the higher ups who can see anyone's spirit animal. They're usually connected to a piece of jewelry because it's easier but you can connect them to anything you want. Sage is connected to my favorite ring which is a serpent ring with emerald jewels all along the snakes back. For some weird reason I actually have multiple but sage is really the only one I see on a daily basis.

"Ugh what am I even supposed to pack? I don't know if it's going to be hot or cold where I'm going." I looked around my room contemplating what to pack. "I guess I could just do both. It's not like I don't wear hoodies and sweatpants everyday anyway. I probably should pack a few shorts and shirts. Oh and I need pajamas and underwear," I walked around my room and packed everything into 2 suitcases.

I put all my extras in my backpack like my phone, computer, sketchbook, my daggers and butterfly knives, my books, and some of my stuffed animals. Yes I still have stuffed animals don't judge me

(AN: I have at least 25 stuffed animals, maybe more)

"Come on Taryn! They're waiting for you!" Mom yelled from the bottom of the stairs. I rolled my eyes and grabbed my stuff. As I walked downstairs I could almost feel the air turn chilly.

I looked around and saw guards standing by the front door and mom sitting on the couch with her knees bouncing impatiently

"I'm here mom," I rolled my eyes.

I took a look at the guards and paused when I noticed their kingdom badges.

Now i'm furious

Walking slowly to my mother I leaned down and whispered into her ear. "Mom, why the fuck are there gaurds from Auroras kingdom here. Where the hell am I going?" I was glaring right at her and she gulped.

"Honey, I'm sorry, you'll only be there for a little bit. Remember that I love you," the guards came and grabbed me by my shoulders and took me to a blacked out car outside.

This was not good