A Pretty Rival

originally posted: 2022-03-20
words: 1228
this is for a writing event my prompt is c!Techno with academic rivals to friends/lovers trope make sure you check out dreamwvrld and other writers in this event! (ends April 25) (also unpopular opinion techno with blue eyes > red eyes) 

The way Techno flaunted himself made Yn's blood boil; not only was he smart, but he was also good in gym class; Yn was top student until Techno waltzed in; everyone knew Yn was a competitive person; it was only more obvious when Techno joined the school.

Everyone seemed to like the pink haired asshole, and while he was cute when his glasses fell down his nose in class or he showed up with flowers in his hair, it only made Yn angrier. Why couldn't she be like that? Why couldn't she be a sweet, smart, beautiful person instead of a competitive ass that does nothing but overthink and push themselves?

Yn's parents knew she would push herself and hurt herself one day, and they warned her about it, but it didn't seem to stop her; instead, it drove her to want to prove them wrong and prove that she wouldn't get hurt.

Yn stormed down an empty hall of the school; it was the end of the day, but she had archery practice today, and Technoblade was there to show off yet again. She slammed her locker door open, grabbing her books before slamming it shut, locking it, and then began to kick it as tears of frustration streamed down her now red cheeks.

She spun around and threw her books on the floor, kicking the calculus textbook, which slid across the floor and slammed against the lockers on the other side before falling down her locker, aggressively wiping her tears with the arm of her school uniform, her tears staining the blue fabric darker. Yn sat for a good 30 minutes before pushing herself up on shaky legs and kneeling to gather up the several textbooks and homework pages before turning and speed walking out of the school, utterly blind to the pink-haired boy who was watching the whole event.

He only wanted to tell Yn how good an archer she was, so why did she have to storm off as he started walking towards her? guess Technoblade would never know.

Yn quietly entered her house door before sprinting up the stairs to her room, slamming the door shut and burying her face into one of her many pillows when a light knock came on her door, "Yn hunny are you ok?" "I'm alright, mum," Yn said as she sat up. "I just have a lot of schoolwork." Yn lied before staring into her mirror.

Before leaving, her mother said softly, "OK hunny, make sure you eat something before bed." Yn laid down on her back with her eyes closed. Maybe sleeping would be better then obsessing about him shifting onto her side. Yn sighed and drifted off to sleep, her thoughts lingering on the pink-haired boy.

Yn woke up with hot cheeks the next morning, having dreamed of Techno, the stupid pink-haired boy. Yn sat up and got dressed for school as quickly as she could. She picked up her bookbag and dashed down the stairs and out the front door to get to school.

As she approached the school grounds, Yn slowed down, not wanting to seem as if she was running from something, or the other students thinking she was running to someone, someone like Technoblade. As soon as she came past the school's gates, Yn felt eyes on her. Yn headed directly to her locker, which now had a few dents in it. Yn mumbled "shit" before trying to open her locker and realising it wouldn't open "fuck fuck fuck" Yn snarled and yanked on the door, which would not budge, "here, let me help you." Yn couldn't help but glare at Techno, saying, "go away, I don't need your help pinky."

Techno rolled his blue eyes at Yn as he yanked open her locker door. "Your locker is dented," "no shit" Yn muttered, putting her bag into the locker and collecting the books she'll need for first period before storming off. "I hate pretty people," Yn murmured as she sat in her first period class, thinking about dropping out or ditching.

For Yn, class passed by slowly, but lunch finally arrived. Yn forced herself out of her seat, grabbed her books, and walked over to her now-fixed locker? Yn threw the door open more carefully this time, ignoring the little dents.

Yn grabbed her gym bag and dashed to the gym, trying to beat Techno. As she turned the corner, she ran into someone or something, most likely someone because she was now on top of that someone. "Damn, if you really wanted to be on top, you could've asked," Techno's monotoneish voice said as Yn huffed, "whatever pinky."

"Why are you even running little rabbit?" Techno said as Yn got up and smoothed out her skirt. "Stop calling me that pinky," Yn said, glaring down at Techno. "Stop calling me pinky then," Yn looked around at the other students who were observing the scene. Yn rolled her eyes and stomped away, Techno holding back from calling her out since he didn't want to further anger her, despite the fact that she looked cute when she was mad. 

Techno stood up and grabbed his books before heading to the gym in the same direction as Yn, ignoring the faint throb in his ankle in the hopes that it would go away before track practise. He sat his books down and looked over to the men's locker room. He shook his head and sat down, thinking that it would be better if he sat out for a while and let Yn calm down.

He sat there and watched as Yn walked from the female changing room, grabbing a bow and arrows, and set up a target. She was good at archery, but she never accepted his compliments. She pulled back the string and let an arrow fly, striking the target square in the middle.

"Stupid pink haired jerk," Techno overheard Yn remark as she sat down on a nearby bench. "Stupid Techno, why does he have to be perfect?" Techno's heart sank, so he quietly stood up and strolled across the gym floor, sitting alongside Yn and wrapping his arms around her.

Yn let her tears fall, not caring that Techno was hugging her right now. "It's unfair you're perfect, why can't I be like that?" Yn wiped her cheeks and threw her arms around Techno, burying her head in his shoulder.

"You're perfect the way you are," Techno said. "No, I'm no,-" Yn said, pulling back and shaking her head. Techno's lips collided with Yn's, cutting her short. Yn eyes widened before closing and pulling Techno in closer.

Maybe Yn didn't hate Techno because he was amazing at everything, but because she liked him and all she knew how to do was hate him. Maybe all those nights she dreamed of him weren't meant to mock her, but to show her that she would rather cuddle him than fight with him.

Techno immediately pulled back. "Yn im sor-" Yn cut him off this time, allowing her lips to fall on his once more. Yn drew back and clutched him, burying her head in his neck.

Maybe having A PRETTY RIVAL wasn't so horrible after all.