24.

۞ | | ۞

I looked at the ringing phone, blinking once, blinking twice, blinking three times... I picked it and placed it against my ear. Jaws rolling against each other as I prepared myself for the orders I would receive from the other line. I placed the phone against my ear and kept quiet, knowing that the other person would speak before I did.

"Status report."

A breath was released from me and the reply was instant. "Kelvin zero-O-four." I heard the radio play in the background, a speech from Churchill being broadcasted over many stations. A time of worry had rolled over the entire world, a time of darkness and death...The second world war was here, and it was more brutal than ever before.

"Agent, you're needed in service. We have a job for you, you'll be escorted from Brutte National Airport at o-seven-hundred tomorrow with plane down to Virginia for more information."

I nodded, more to myself than to anyone else. "Understood Sir."

"This is a secret operation. You cannot tell anyone anything, is that clear?"

"Yes Sir." I nodded again, laying one hand over my chest as I tapped my finger against the phone. I would probably not tell anyone about the operation even if I wanted to, I almost never talked about the missions I went on. 

"We look forward to having you on duty again, agent. Do not be late."  The man hung up, leaving the line empty as I lifted the phone away from my ear and laid it back on the handle bar. 

I had been home for little less than three weeks, and now I was off again. My lips tugged, I was excited. A war was going on, and even with horrible it was, I was excited about getting out into the gunfire and bombs. It meant adrenaline, and adrenaline meant feeling alive. This...job...had gotten me to feel more alive then I had done in decades. I actually got to make a difference now. I didn't just sit on my arse, listening to the birdsong outside of the windows, slowly going mentally insane with nothing to keep me occupied.

Now I had a purpose again. I could use the things I was best at, getting information and killing people. 

"You're going away again?" 

My smile dimmed down and I turned my head to the side, seeing Rose in the doorway. Her eyebrows were tugged together, her lips turned down, and eyes filled with a sorrow. She didn't like this job I had, I don't think any in the family did, but they didn't complain, they saw what it meant to me. 
   I nodded, slowly blinking her way with a small grin. "I am, it's a war going on Rose, I have to help." 

Her frown deepened. "But it isn't your war, you don't have to help." 

"You're right, I don't have to help... But I want to. You know how I am, Rose, I need some action in my life, I can't just sit still and pray for the best to happen." I turned to her fully and shrugged gently, not really knowing what to do to comfort her. I wasn't the best at comforting people. It wasn't something I had been taught. 

I heard Carlisle walk up behind me, head turning just a fraction to the side to let him know I had heard him approaching. He patted my shoulder, one of the few people whose touch I didn't necessarily recoil from. "Just come back in one piece." 

My eyes locked with his and I nodded, patting his hand back. "I always do." 

At least I always used to do.

*ੈ✩‧₊˚