Quarantine

Jay and Hailey had to be quarantined together as they'd both been exposed to a fast acting virus. As the medical staff waited for the cure to arrive, a man announced over the intercom "try to avoid touching each other, kissing each other, or anything more than that."

"Why would we do that? We're friends" Hailey replied.

"Trust me, I've seen stranger things in situations like this."

Hailey sat down on the ground next to Jay.

"So I guess this is how we die huh?"

"Don't say that" he reassured. "There's still hope."

"Any regrets?"

"Only that I couldn't see my family one last time. And you?"

"Probably that I never got to experience love."

"What do you mean?" Jay frowned. "Don't people love you?"

"Yeah but like romantically. I've never been in a relationship or done anything remotely romantic. No dates, no kisses, basically nothing."

"I find that hard to believe. I mean you are attractive."

"Thanks" Hailey blushed. "It's just a shame it won't happen now."

Jay started scratching his chest and eventually pulled off his shirt, revealing a huge red rash. Hailey fanned herself as she could with her hand, as she was beginning to overheat. As time counted down, she realised she was glad it was Jay she was dying with.

"I don't want to die, but I'm glad it's with you Jay" she smiled. "Thanks for everything you've ever done for me."

"Don't mention it. Clearly this isn't ideal but I'm glad I get to be with you too."

He put an arm around her. "About what you said earlier... Don't doubt that it can still happen."

Hailey didn't have time to answer before Jay kissed her, prompting the guy from earlier to bang on the glass.

"No kissing! I warned you about this!"

Jay separated from Hailey's lips and looked down at her, whispering in her ear "when we get out of here, I'll show you what love is."

She blushed just thinking of it.

The cure came in a couple of hours later, and when they were treated and released, Jay kept his promise to show Hailey what love really is, much to her pleasure.