Chapter 01

───── ❝ Iwona Whitlock ❞ ─────

"Mother, it's not like that. I know you always care for me and provide the things that I need but please listen to what I want now."

We were in the kitchen area of our house. My mother is washing our dishes while I'm on her back sitting on a stool chair, resting my arms above our counter table and boring a hole behind her head. Kidding aside, I'm just a human as if I can bore it with my eyes.

"I completely understand what you want iona but I highly disapprove of it and I won't give you permission."

I silently pout on her response. Why won't she let me do what I want? I do have reasons for it besides I just wanted to earn money!

I look away from her and turn myself while still sitting on the stool. I look across our living room, looking at the window while the first snow of the year falls. Why is the color of snow is white? What if it's red? Well, I guess a lot of kids will get terrified if it's red.

If Father agrees then I'll go at Friday.

"Iona"

"Yes, Mother?" I looked at mom and saw her wiping her hands on our mint fluffy absorbent kitchen towel to get her hands dry.

"Even if you ask your Father about it, you still can't go"

"But Mothe-!"

"Enough, Iwona. I know your Father will agree to it but if I say you won't go it means 'no'. We're providing you the things that you need. We're responsible for what you need. Aren't those enough for you?"

I looked down staring at our white marbled counter table. As mom continues her lectures for me.

"Do you need money, iona? How much do you need?"

"Mother, A dollar is enough." I answered her even though I didn't need it. I just want to earn my own money.

If you only know why I wanted to earn my own money...

Mother sighs. She walked towards me and sat on the other side of the stool where she was placed on my left side.

"Iona, isn't that easy? you just need to say it directly to me if you really want something."

That's easy for you to say, Mother.

I still genuinely smile at her even though that's not what I truly want...

Suddenly our front door opens and our dog named 'Mein', which is a golden retriever runs up to me. What a fluffy golden one!

I squealed in delight when mein jumps at me and licks my face in excitement.

"What are my two lovely ladies gossiping about?" Father said while getting his black winter coat off his body and hanging it on our coat rack. He is also wearing a caramel colored scarf which my Mother knitted last summer.

"Oh dear, our lovely daughter wants to work in a flower shop"

"Where?"

"Near Bloemen Market," I answered while still rubbing Mein's belly. He really loves it when we rub his belly although he is not fond of other people, even our relatives, heck! especially strangers.

"That's fine with me." my father said while walking towards us.

"See? I already knew that you would agree." Mother said while avoiding my Father's kiss on her cheek. She stands up and walks towards the refrigerator to get something. My Father left dumbfounded on my left side and sighs.