30. Loss

Princess Anne

***

I threw the last letter I had received from my brother into the bin and set it on fire. Once the flames died and the paper had turned to ashes, I watched Roberta pack her suitcase. Her dark hair had been put into a messy bun. The light from the chandelier illuminated some of her olive skin; the rest was mottled by shadows. She wore a smile, but I was furious. "Do you really have to go?"

"I received a batch of poisoned muffins earlier; though I don't think the girl who delivered it had any reason to attempt to kill me, I assume she was manipulated by Mitzy. Whatever the reason, it's time for me to leave before the Trents and Dragonbloods succeed in their quest."

"Will you unseal your magic first? It's dangerous out there."

Roberta paused for a long while, thinking of her lost family, then she nodded.

"Where will you go?"

"I don't know."

"Will I ever hear from you again?"

She turned and pinched my cheek playfully. "Would you listen to this ugly duckling blabber," she said half to herself, then added, "You'll stay out of trouble and avoid the Trents?"

I nodded.

"Good." Roberta held her arms wide.

Slightly dejected, I walked into her hug and let her embrace me. I feared I would never see her again once she left. She placed her chin atop my head, holding me in place.

"Promise me we'll meet again," I said.

"Of course."

***

I walked down a long corridor; violet and orange streamers and balloons decorated the walls, setting a joyous mood for the weekend sacrifice. There were pictures of Esam, Shovek, and gods from other countries, including Mama Tresna, one of the creator gods in South Africa. She was a tall woman with dark brown skin who had put her braids in a high bun. In the paintings, her irises were almost white, glowing. Something about her held you captive, and you had to force yourself to look away.

Mitzy Trent oversaw students as they knelt on the tiles, markers in hand, and wrote their wishes for the new year on plates holding golden candles. Once they finished writing, the students lit their candles and cast a basic levitation spell that made the candles rise and hover above the ground.

With the fires lit, the warmth and excitement that accompanied the second last major sacrifice of the year took over. Mitzy helped a small first-year get his candle off the ground, then turned to me. Her crimson robe reminded me of a river of blood.

She walked over to me with no trace of animosity on her countenance. "I heard your friend, Zeren, will be the host for the fall dance?"

"I guess so." I hadn't spoken to Zeren in a few days because of how busy things had been, but it seemed plausible. She had developed a close relationship with the principal and enjoyed public speaking.

"Tell her good luck for me." Mitzy's smile melted her cold demeanor. Her eyes seemed to twinkle. Even though Mitzy seemed relaxed, I felt her watching every twitch of my face. Perhaps searching for any trace of enmity. Any hint that I was aware of what Roberta knew. For my part, I played it cordially. I smiled and joked with her, drooled over Professor Kudrow, though I had no interest in him—and neither did she, but he was a common topic among the girls. By the end of the conversation, I felt that I had shown her that I was nothing more than an idiot who put love and romantic attraction above all else. I wasn't someone for her to fear.

***

Drawing runes helped to amplify the power of spells. It was one of the skills we had to constantly develop and one of our most challenging courses. I sat in the library opposite Kite, trying to memorize a healing diagram that had to be drawn on a victim of a plague. Kite, tired after flyball practice, ate a burger.

"You'll get in trouble," I warned. There was a strict no food policy in the library.

"Only if I get caught," Kite murmured, taking another bite.

As if summoned by the scent of food and disobedience, Professor Kudrow emerged from one of the aisles to our left and entered the sitting area. He waited for a floating candle to pass by him, then, sniffing the air, came over to Kite and took his right ear. "Ow!" Kite shouted before Kudrow twisted it.

Kudrow said, "If you want to eat, do it outside."

"Yes, I'm going." Kite packed his bag, wrapped the remains of his burger, then fled the room, muttering something about when sharks smell blood.

Kudrow waited on the other side of the table, a familiar green caterpillar lying atop his head. The cute caterpillar contrasting with the man's stern expression made a comical image. A smile came to my lips, but I held back my laugh. Of all the familiars to create, he had made a caterpillar. Kudrow said, "I apologize for whatever scare the demon attack brought you, Princess. Our school, the teachers, the guards will ensure that never happens again. Your safety is our priority."

"Isn't the safety of all students a priority?"

"Certainly, but yours more so."

Kudrow stood still for a moment, examining me. His lips twitched, but he remained silent, and after a subtle nod, he held his hands behind his back and walked away. He had wanted to say something else but had thought better of it. I tried to return to the healing rune, but my head ached, and I thought of the Trents I had been told not to investigate.

I thought of how Mitzy had told me to tell Zeren good luck.

Was it a warning?

A threat that if I went against her, she would attack Zeren.

Or was I reading into things? I had sensed no malice when we spoke, but, upon reflection, cold seeped into my chest. I feared that I had fallen behind in a race that could cost us our lives.

***