35. The Swap

Princess Anne

***

The fall dance was the perfect time to sleuth. If Roberta had been here and I had asked her for a key to Mitzy's room, she would have likely denied the request due to whatever danger she perceived. However, the temporary dorm supervisor, Ms. Diaz, was easier to deal with and handed over the key under the impression that I wanted to leave a secret present for Mitzy. I waited until most of the students had left for the dance and sat by my study desk, reviewing my notes. A knock interrupted my thoughts.

One of my guards communicated with me telepathically. 'A student named Erin Williams is here to see you, Princess.'

'Let her in.'

The door opened, and Erin entered. Metallic gold eyeshadow accentuated her eyes. She had contoured her face, making her cheekbones and jawline more prominent. Her blonde hair had been put into a bun; a few escaped tendrils draped the back of her neck. To match her face, she had chosen a golden robe for the night.

I, on the other hand, dressed simply, my hair down. A buttoned-up white shirt stained with ink from a broken pen—I sometimes chewed the bottom when I was anxious—horrid habit, I know.

"Will you be going to the dance?" Erin asked.

"No. Tonight is the one night I know Mitzy won't be in her room; she's one of the monitors for the dance and is using her magic to help decorate, so she will be away from the dorm for a while."

Erin nodded. "Oh.... Well, wouldn't it be helpful if you were at the ball? If she suspects anyone of breaking into her room, I could be your alibi." Erin raised her left brow. Her lips curled into a smile.

"What are you suggesting?"

"Let me be you for the night."

"What do you get from this?"

She tapped a glittering nail on the desk. "We're working together as detectives to find out the truth about Victoria and Sasha's deaths, so I'm happy to help whenever you need assistance."

"And what about your alibi for the night?"

"We can leave a doppelganger in my bed. I had a bad experience at the last dance I went to, so if anyone asks, I'll say I don't really feel like going tonight."

I wasn't sure if I could trust Erin. It had been a little over two weeks since school began; she wasn't much more than a stranger. Aside from a few playful meetings, she hadn't contributed much to the investigation. Did she simply want to help me with the case, or was there something more? Truth serums didn't work on people with large cores like ours, so I had to go with my instinct.

If I screwed up while searching Mitzy's room, having an alibi would help me. But having someone I barely knew pretend to be me could injure my reputation, so I had to put some conditions to our agreement. "One hour. You can be me for an hour. I'll help you with the doppelganger since your magic is sealed. We'll wait in your room till the dance begins, then I'll make myself invisible and search Mitzy's room for about half an hour while you're at the dance. Keep an eye on Mitzy, and let me know if anything changes. Oh, and, on a side note, my guards will accompany you to keep up appearances."

My personal guards would also prevent her from doing anything humiliating while she wore my form. "Did you and Zeren find anything while investigating?"

"Not yet. We're still working on it, but we should have something for you soon."

"Really?"

"Really." She smiled.

***

Erin

***

It felt strange to wear another's skin, unnatural. I had the princess's caramel complexion, braided blue hair, and green eyes. Anne tucked my doppelganger into bed. There was a stump on my left hand where my little finger had been, but it would grow back once I had access to my magic. For now, the wound had been closed with Anne's powers and covered with gauze. It was a sacrifice I had needed to make to summon my own doppelganger.

The finger had served as the seed for my clone. Once buried in soil and watered while Ann muttered a spell, it grew until it became an exact replica of my body. And I had watched myself lying on the ground, naked as a baby.

Erin B was a low-level doppelganger. It would never open its eyes or think. Higher-end ones required larger sacrifices, an entire hand, or a piece of a soul. The unconscious Erin B was more than enough for our needs.

Still in Anne's body, I put on a purple ballroom dress; a small silver tiara glistened in my hair. Anne glanced at me, trying to figure out why I had insisted on being her. What I gained from using her body. If she could trust me.

I smiled.

Before she left, Princess Anne said, "Try not to stand out. If you act out of character, my friends will be quick to realize. So, try to read their energy and go with the flow. And please, let me know if Mitzy leaves."

I nodded and shook her outstretched hand. Anne drew an invisibility rune on her forearm then vanished.

Outside, there was the noise of students chattering as they slipped from their bedrooms in their elegant gowns. The party had begun, and Zeren was waiting for me.

***