41. The L-Word

Erin

***

Zeren lay in her usual bed; the nurse had cleared her to return to her room. She no longer resembled a mummy as she sipped chocolate milk from a carton. Fluid-filled blisters partially covered her arms and face, but they would be gone in a few hours. If not for a last-minute decision, she would have been dead.

As I had left the party that accursed night, I had noticed that Mitzy was nowhere to be seen. Something told me that she was on her way to see the princess.

So, as we waited outside her room door, I had chanelled my magic into Zeren's body, building her core to a size eleven and leaving mine at a meager point-five. The guards had decided to send Zeren in as her costume would likely confuse Mitzy if she were in the room and allow them to attack.

What we hadn't counted on was Mitzy having a core larger than size six. She had vaporized Zeren's clothes and left the girl's body riddled with severe burns. And for five days, I had experienced what it was like to be the weakest of the weak while Zeren healed. I had been closer to a nonmagi human than a magician. I smiled at the memory.

The world was changing, unfolding before me.

There was a sudden need for me to grow up and use my talents to serve my family.

The rest of Prince Reid's sword's tour had been cancelled; it had been returned to the king's castle, stating political instability.

I had received a letter from my mother, an immediate summons. They were expecting war, and our family had decided not to side with the king.

I glanced at Zeren. She had shaved her head because the fire had left it mutilated and patchy. When Mitzy had fired at her, she had done so with the intent to kill. I went over to Zeren's bed, found her favorite blue hat with the floppy rabbit ears on the ground, picked it up, and pulled it over her naked head. She smiled at me appreciatively; a humorous light filled her grey eyes.

"How are you feeling?" I asked.

"Better."

"Think you'll be able to heal with your regular core?"

She nodded.

I held out my hand, and Zeren pressed hers against mine. With our palms serving as the connection point, I pulled the magic from her body, shrinking her core. A cold breeze brushed me as my magic returned; my chest opened as my core grew. Colours became more vivid; my body felt lighter, more agile. When my second heart reached its usual size of seven, I released Zeren's hand. "So, you like me," I told her.

"I've never said that."

"You admitted it in front of a crowd of strangers."

"I meant it hypothetically."

"Why are you so afraid of saying it? Maybe I feel the same."

Zeren raised her left brow, studying me, trying to guess whether I was playing her or not. Frowning, Zeren said, "Perhaps I don't hate you."

"You like me."

"There are moments when," she paused and, sighing, added, "I'm attracted to you."

I smiled. "You like me."

She raised her chin stubbornly and looked away; a long exhale spilled from her lips. "I l--- you."

"I didn't quite hear that," I said, leaning closer to her.

"I like you," she said through gritted teeth. "Now you say it."

"I'm hungry. I'm going to see if there's anything in the dining hall." I waved goodbye.

"It's illegal not to say it back."

"Throw me in jail then." A pillow hit my back, but I paid it little attention as Zeren swore and called me a cheat. I smiled, placed my hand on the doorknob, and went out into the hall.

***