chapter 4

"I can't believe you actually came to pick me up. I can't believe you pulled me off my bed. And I can't believe you got my dad to let me go to a party."

Let me tell you, I was so surprised when an excited Josh came busting through my room door. I just fell asleep when he woke me up with his loud movements. He didn't even give me a chance to wake up before he was dragging me out the house with my black converse in his hands.

According to him, my dad was more than willing to let me go to this party. He didn't tell me exactly what they spoke about which makes me quite suspicious.

"Well yeah you can't just rot away in your bed all day. You need to get out a bit. You know, actually interact with other human beings." He says, one hand on the steering wheel and another hand holding an iced coffee as he drinks the last of it.

"I do talk to people." I say matter-of-factly.

"Your unicorn doll doesn't count." He rolls his eyes.

"How do you even know about that? How do you even know where I live?"

He gives me a side eye. "Don't ask questions you don't want the answers to."

We sit in silence for about 2 seconds before he connects his phone to his car's radio. I take note of his horrible but also impressive driving skills. He managed to drive, drink coffee and put on music all at the same time. Before I know it, music is blasting through the speakers.

I hate loud music.

Always have, always will. Makes my ears hurt and nine times out of ten it gives me a headache. The only thing I really like about it is how the seat vibrates and basically feels like a massage.

"Can you please turn that down? My ears feel like they're bleeding." I yell over the loud music. Even the windows are vibrating.

"What?" Josh yells back as if he didn't hear what I said. I'm pretty sure he heard me.

I roll my eyes and take it upon myself to put the music softer.

He pouts and turns to look at me for a split second before turning back to the road. "Oh come on, how am I supposed to feel the music now? Do you want me to fall asleep? We're about to go to a party and you're whining over my music."

I frown. "Well, we are currently in a confined space so the music kind of goes straight to my ears and I didn't even want to go to this stupid party."

He rolls his eyes this time. "Stop being a party pooper."

"I don't want to be a party anything. I want to be at home. Sleeping. Or reading."

"Well, it's too late for that because we're here." He smiles wide and claps his hands as the car comes to a stop.

I turn my head to the side and sigh. It's not a sigh of relief though because we were in fact at the party.

It was an average sized house and there was a decent amount of cars parked around. Thank God it isn't a huge party.

As if he could read my thoughts, Josh speaks up. "It's just a little gathering, nothing huge so you can relax. You think the first party I'm bringing you to is going to be huge? No, I'm easing you into it babe."

"What do you me-"

Josh cuts me off by opening his door, leaving me with a frown on my face, still seated in the car. Before I know it, Josh is opening my door for me. I get out of the car with little to no enthusiasm.

"Oh come on. Loosen up a bit. We're at a party. You're going to have fun." He assures me.

"Alright." I say, stuffing my hands in the pockets of my hoodie. It's quite cold considering the weather and my attire. My legs are exposed to the coldness of the winter air due to my tight shorts. How I thought it was a great idea to wear these shorts in winter is besides me.