prologue

I've always been sure about myself in life. I knew who I was and who I wanted to be. I knew what I wanted to be. But, that was when I still had braces and an obsession with mermaids and unicorns. Now, I have no braces and a slight fascination with death. You see, life isn't always as easy as it seems. It's not always black and white. As teenagers we are put under immense pressure to figure out what we want to be, to be perfect.

We have to maintain good grades and a social life all while discovering ourselves without conforming to what is deemed as wrong in society. The truth is, I can't even decide what I want to eat for lunch so what makes society think I can figure out what I want to do for the rest of my life. Society is really fucked up if you ask me.

The thing is, being put under pressure to figure things out at such a young age can mess you up on the inside. Anxiety stricken from due dates and the unknown, the unknown of whether or not you'll get good grades, supportive friends or heck, even a future. Emptiness as you sit at your desk at 1am because you had no motivation to do it before hand. These are all part of the teenage package. A mix of emotions that take a toll on you. The system is designed to fit us all in this mould of perfection, a preconceived version at least.

And then there's still the pressure of finding a significant other. You can say what you want, but even the introverted get lonely sometimes. You can like being alone but still feel lonely.

Sorry, I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Isabella Anderson. I'm your average 17 year old. I don't like school, don't have friends and I don't know what the fuck I want to do with my future.

Oh, and I got one big secret I've been keeping from everyone.