Chapter 16: A Chastiser's Past

The following morning, Jesse silently read in the living room. Kitsune was cleaning up after breakfast, leaving him to his own devices. If he listened, he could hear her quietly sing to herself- yet another song he didn't recognize. Though this one was in English. Going off the lyrics, it seemed to be about wanting to start off with a clean slate, but finding it difficult to.

He smiled a bit, returning his attention to the book. Her singing was quite enjoyable, and it made good background noise. Though, honestly, the lyrics of the song... somewhat reminded him of himself. The way that the lyrics seemed to suggest not wanting to look back, to just leave the past behind and start a new life- it just reminded him of his own situation.

He sighed a bit, setting the book down. It hadn't occurred to him until now that if he wanted to be closer with Kitsune, then he'd probably have to talk about his past at some point. Needless to say, that wasn't at all a conversation he was looking forward to. It was something he never liked thinking about- let alone talking about it. Hell, he didn't even know how to bring it up, or what he'd say.

After a few minutes, Kitsune finally entered the room- carrying Boo in her arms. "Hey Jesse. You good? You look kinda distracted." She asked, walking over and sitting down beside him.

"Yes, I'm fine. Just..." Jesse paused, glancing down at the book in his lap. "Thinking about something." He stated. He was silent for a moment before glancing over at the woman beside him.

"Kitsune?" He started, getting her attention. "Do you mind if I ask you something?" He questioned.

Kitsune shrugged, smiling a bit. "Sure! By all means, go right ahead." She replied.

With a deep breath, Jesse continued. "So... Let's say I told you about something bad that I did. It was a long time ago, and I'm currently trying to atone for it. Would you think less of me for it?" He asked.

"Hmm... Probably not, no." Kitsune replied. "I mean, my brother Tech always said that sometimes, good people do bad things. 'The road to hell is paved with good intentions', he'd say." She added. "I guess what I'm saying is- seeing as you're trying to atone for it, I don't think I'll be mad. Especially considering if you had a reason for it."

"I see... Well, that's relieving to hear at the very least." Jesse remarked. "...Can I talk to you about something?" He asked.

"Yeah, go for it." Kitsune replied, listening intently. It was evident he was serious, so she wanted him to know that she was fully hear to listen.

"Right, so... If I recall correctly, you said you were excited to meet a Chastiser, correct?" He asked, to which Kitsune nodded. "Tell me something. Were you ever curious as to why I became a Chastiser to begin with?" He questioned.

"It's definitely crossed my mind before, yeah. I just wasn't sure how to bring it up, or if I should." Kitsune admitted.

"Well... I'll tell you. I haven't told anyone this, but... I trust you enough." Jesse stated, before sighing.

"Seven years ago, I was apart of a human experiment of sorts that was basically a drug trial. At first, I didn't think too much of it..." He said, placing two fingers by his neck. "Then I actually took the medication... And it was excruciatingly painful..." He explained, Kitsune's eyes widening in concern.

"They told me I was sick- that they just wanted to help. But considering how much my pain seemed to amuse them, I doubt that was actually the case..." He hissed, narrowing his eyes at the floor. "They're dead now... I made sure of that... I'll never, never forgive them for the pain they put me through..." He sighed once again.

"Since then, I've been suffering from... symptoms of sorts. I can usually cover them up with a different medication, but... I still have them. They act up on occasion, but other than that, I'm fine..." He paused, gripping his sleeves.

"I'm not... I'm not like that. Not anymore."

Kitsune hummed, worry in her eyes. She wasn't fully sure what he meant by 'like that', but it evidently damaged him to some degree. "Jess..." She mumbled, scooting closer and giving him a hug. "I'm sorry you went through all that... You didn't deserve that at all..." She stated.

Jesse quietly breathed out, patting Kitsune's back as he let her hug him. "It's alright... Not much point in dwelling on it now." He replied, smiling a bit. "Besides... At the very least, one good thing came out of it." He remarked.

Kitsune blinked, looking up at him in confusion. "Oh? And what would that be?" She questioned.

The dark haired male chuckled, moving her hair away. "Isn't it obvious? I met you, of course." He responded.

The redhead squeaked, giggling with her cheeks slightly tinted pink. "Awww, Jesse." She smiled. "You're very sweet." She commented.

Jesse smiled, wrapping an arm around her. It was nice to finally talk to someone about it, really. Like a weight had finally been lifted off his shoulders. He was relieved, honestly. Since Kitsune was so easy to talk to, it just seemed even easier. In fact, if he was honest...

He didn't want to leave her side- not now, not ever.