Ghost Train - Oneshot

You would occasionally hear stories children would tell one another within the Gear Station. Tales ranging from 'Subway Boss Emmet is actually a Zoroark', to 'Subway Boss Ingo is a robot' or whatever else their imaginations came up with. It got especially bad when the eldest twin suddenly vanished, and echoes of different 'theories' made up by kids would make their way across the city. "Maybe he got abducted by aliens!" one kid would say, while another would reply with "aliens aren't real, dumb dumb. Obviously, he's Boss Emmet's shadow and he went back to the shadow realm."

Thankfully none of these were true, as a couple of months after his disappearance, Ingo returned just as mysteriously, wandering the tunnels of the subway. His coat had been in tatters, he had developed a slouch, and he looked exhausted. Or as Emmet had bluntly put it, "Brother! You look like shit."

Two months had passed since his return and he had quickly gotten back on track running the station. He still had gaps in his memory and he would occasionally space out. His voice would remain quieter, except for when the two worked. Ingo and Emmet loved to spend their time reminiscing about their shared past. Every "I remember that!" from Ingo would almost bring Emmet to tears. Things were nearly back to normal. Nearly.

One night the twins were working late, as usual. You hadn't seen either of them often since Ingo's disappearance, so you decided to bring them a surprise: their favorite black and white cookies from a bakery nearby.

As you stepped into the station, you didn't realize how eerily quiet the building was until you heard how loudly your footsteps echoed off the brick walls. You couldn't hear the distant sound of employees or even the hollering of either of the twins. There wasn't even the cooing of a wild Pidove who made its way in. You could hear your heart pound against your chest.

The sudden sound of a train horn startled you.

'What the? The trains aren't scheduled to be running until morning. Maybe those two are doing maintenance?' You thought, heading towards the tunnel you heard the sound from. Where there are trains, there are twins.

For a while, there was nothing. No lights, no sounds, no trains. 'Was this platform always this long?' you questioned.

Shortly after, the headlights of a subway train finally appeared. You let out a sigh of relief as you saw Emmet wave from the front. The doors opened with a chime and the usual announcement to "mind the gap" played as you hopped on.

You sighed in relief and headed towards the cab where you saw Emmet. "Thank the Legends I found you guys, I thought for a second I was going to be jumped by a Gengar-" You stopped when you saw that the younger twin was gone. The cab was empty. You were sure you had seen Emmet here just a moment ago. You searched for a sign of his presence. "Emmet, this isn't very funny, where'd you go?"

You caught the sound of the doors shutting. No one but you was in the cab and you hadn't touched the controls. A chill ran down your spine and you sprinted to one of the doors. They were sealed shut. Even the emergency exits had vanished, as if they had never existed.

You recalled one of those Gear Station stories you overheard earlier.

"Have you heard of the ghost train?" An older kid said to a younger, frightened boy.

"G-Ghost train?" The child gripped his Teddiursa plush tightly.

The first boy smirked and continued. "They say after the trains stop running in the Gear Station, one train can still be heard running. People say they've seen passengers get on...but never get off."

The second child squeaked in fear, now hiding behind the small bear.

"Michael quit scaring your brother," the boy's father said, as he ruffled the eldest's hair.

You didn't pay any mind to the tale then, as you believed it was just a scary story between siblings. "That was just something that kid made up, I'm just...having a bad dream," you whispered to yourself, slumping to the floor. You desperately wanted to convince yourself this wasn't real.

Your heart stopped when you felt the train begin to move. You nearly tripped over yourself getting up and rushing for the doors. You cried for help. You screamed for Ingo and Emmet. The train slowly gained speed, and the faster you traveled, the faster your hope began to wane. Falling to your knees, you weakly pounded on the doors and sobbed.

You're done for.

"...ey!"

You perked up at the faintest sound of a voice. A familiar voice.

"Emmet?"

"Snap out of it!" Ingo. You could hear them clearer. They sounded out of breath, like they had been sprinting.

You didn't have much time to dwell on it as something suddenly crashed into you. You yelped, squeezing your eyes tight and bracing yourself. You were surprised to feel a body under you and you opened your eyes to see...Emmet? You would have asked where he came from but the sudden rush of a subway train next to you derailed that immediate thought. His arms wrapped around you tightly. His white cap blew off in the wind but he didn't move to save it. It was then you noticed the tracks next to you, and the concrete tunnel taking up your surroundings. You weren't in the cab anymore. The wind settled as the train headed further down the tracks, and you noticed Ingo standing on the platform above you.

'How did I get on the tracks...?' You couldn't recall ever leaving the platform, except for stepping aboard the train.

"Emmet, the tracks are clear!" Ingo called down. The younger twin wasted no time lifting you up and running across the metal tracks.

"What...happened?" You finally asked, in a daze.

The elder twin assisted you in getting back onto the platform. "It seems I wasn't the only passenger to get off at this station," he replied.

"It was a Zoroark," Emmet climbed back up to safety.

"One from ancient Sinnoh, that is," Ingo clarified.

"Wait so...that was all an illusion?" You stared down at the tracks where you and Emmet previously laid.

Oh Arceus, you had nearly died. The realization sunk in and you felt sick. Hot tears spilled from your eyes. You collapsed, but the pair caught you and held you close. You sobbed into one of their coats and your throat began to sting from your wails.

"It's going to be okay, you're safe with us," Ingo said, rubbing your back.

"Mhm, we would never let you come to harm!" Emmet smiled. "Ingo has captured the pokemon so it won't be a problem anymore!"

"That is correct, Zoroark will no longer be a hazard." The older twin looked to his brother. "Emmet, why don't we shut down for the night and return to our stations...all of us could use the rest."

"Sleepover?" Emmet beamed. His brother chuckled. Your cries dissipated as the three of you exited the station and planned the rest of the night, full of laughter.

...

I do hope this tale serves as a warning to whoever else may become a victim of the ghost train...or anything else even more sinister lurking in the dark.