Chapter 24: The Game

Later that day...

After an amazing day at the cabin, Rafe goes off somewhere and comes back to find Tayla laying on the couch in the living. Tayla looks at the man in front of her, his left hand behind his back. She furrows her brows in curiosity "What are you hiding Cameron?".

He smirks "I've got my present for you". 

Tayla sighs "Babe, we talked about this, I don't want anything from you". 

Rafe nods his head "Yes, I know but it's the only thing I got you and it's nothing crazy". 

"Coming from you, that still means anything" she shrugs.

Rafe pulls his hand out from behind him, revealing tickets. Tayla stands and looks at the tickets still in his hand "Football?". 

Rafe chuckles at her tone "Yeah the Broncos are playing a home game tonight and I got some nice seats". 

"Rafe, you know damn well that I am terrible when it comes to understanding football" Tayla says.

Of course, Rafe knew this, whenever he would watch a game on the TV, his girlfriend's questions would have the most obvious answers. He found her questions cute and endearing while Topper found them annoying and dumb. "You'll learn if you actually pay attention and I'll help you out, it'll be good bonding time" he claims.

Tayla chuckles lightly "I think we've bonded enough this trip, don't you think?" she asks, going on her tip-toes and pecking his soft lips. 

Rafe shakes his head "No, one hundred percent no". 

She hums sarcastically in response "Will there be concessions?".

Rafe squints his eyes in disbelief "Who do you think you're talking to? Of course, there will be concessions, we'll get hot dogs, popcorn, nachos, whatever you want, it's your birthday". 

Tayla's smile lights up the room "Okay, I'm down let's go"

He laughs watching Tayla run up the stairs but she stops midway. The girl turns back around to face her boyfriend "One question". 

Rafe smiles to himself, knowing the sports questions are starting "Yeah?". 

"What's a home game?".

At the game...

Rafe becomes noticeably fidgety as the two find their seat at the football stadium. As they sit down, Tayla rubs his leg repeatedly, attempting to calm him down "You okay?". 

The kook boy nods his head, trying to shrug off the nerves "Yeah, just... hungry I think, what do you want from concessions?".

She tries her best to believe the boy she loves "Umm... a soda and a hot dog is fine for now, are you sure you're okay?". 

Rafe sighs "Baby I'm okay, stop worrying about me, this is your day and I'm just nervous for the game to start". Tayla nods, not entirely convinced.

Noticing the wheels turning in her head, Rafe gets up and kisses her forehead softly "Everything's fine, I'll be right back". Tayla gives him a warm smile as he walks off to the nearest concessions booth.

As he waits in line, Rafe takes a moment to try to calm himself. The butterflies in his stomach weren't even butterflies, they were birds. His breathing starts to become uneven and the older couple in front of him begin to notice. The woman grabs his shoulder firmly "Are you okay honey?" the man next to her looks just as concerned.

Rafe looks between the couple, nodding rapidly "Yeah, I-I'm sorry, I'm just proposing to my girlfriend in a little while". 

The woman softly chuckles, patting his shoulder "Don't apologize that moment can be scary, this one was shaking in his boots the whole time when he did it".