~ blankets and breakfast

[last night] - [nich's pov]
jessica had fallen asleep way before i did. she passed out on her couch, after we stared at the stars. her brown hair fell softly off the couch and her freckles shone in the small lamp next to her. 

cute. wait, ew. no.

i draped a blanket over her and turned the lamp towards her desk. i sat down at the desk and opened up an old sketchbook i had in my backpack. opening up to a random page, i stared at what i used as a diary, photo album, and sketchbook.

1/1/2019
i saw this girl at school today. i think her name was jessica? she was pretty. 

*insert picture of her here*

no way. i'd met her before? i guess i just forgot about her until now..

5/4/2019
we're going to a cool creek for my birthday today. i think it's gonna go well, mom's packed everything up for a three day trip. i'm turning thirteen.

10/22/2019
i just got out of the hospital.

i stared at this journal entry longer than the other ones.

2/20/2020
dad just passed. mom's been crying nonstop for the past three days.

4/16/2020
mom found a guy. his names garrison hill. i hated him at first but i guess i've warmed up to him. no one compares to dad though.

5/4/2022
i just turned fifteen.. its been two years. mom and that guy got married.

i started to tear up at the sight of every journal entry i'd written. it was almost poetic. sentimental. jessica stired in her sleep- i wiped my tears and opened to a blank page in the journal. i grabbed my pencil and sketched out a small lake and river. one like the creek i was supposed to go to. 

grabbing coloured pencils, i coloured in the river. after the river came the rocks and grass. 

[the next morning] - [no one's pov]

nich had fallen asleep drawing. his book was open. the blonde woke up before jessica though. he closed his sketchbook, placing it back into his backpack, and went into her bathroom. he changed his clothes into something more casual and brushed his teeth. 

nich being the guy he was, he decided to make breakfast. he put on music and started cooking pancakes.

How could I ignore you?
Trust me I adore you
We're swimming through our dreams
Kiss me in the shower
For a couple hours
Though we're only sixteen 

jessica woke up to the music blaring and the sounds of hissing from the stove. she walked down the stairs and rubbed her eyes.

And sit down beside me
Don't call me daddy
'Cause that's just fucking weird

"nich, what are you doing? it's like six in the morning." she stared at the clock, then back at the boy in her kitchen.

"making pancakes, idiot. be glad i'm doing this for you."

"i didn't ask you to do it for me... but thank you." jessica sighed and sat down at the island. nich flipped the pancakes and slid them onto a plate. he pushed it in front of jessica and waited for her to take a bite. 

she poured maple syrup and sugar onto the pancake after adding butter. "this is really good, nich! are you sure you don't wanna be a cooking major?"

"no. i'm a psychology major. i'm also leaving now. so goodbye." 

"wait no, can i at least bring you to my favourite library in trade with you bringing me hreakfast?" 

nich groaned, but agreed.  jess brought him to 'cel's library'. she walked in, dragging him behind her. picking out a book, jess handed it to nich.

a song played through the back of nichs head as they walked in and she handed him a book. 

Promise that you'll stay here
You and I can lay here
Until the end of time

But girl, well don't you worry 'bout me
It ain't new to me
Feeling this lonely, darling

Girl, don't worry about me
But if you're ever unhappy
Then maybe, baby, I must let you go
Let you go

just like nich, jess had a song playing in the back of her head.

Baby now it's best here, to lay me down and rest here
Let's dream of Corduroy
Work for what you love to do and I will watch right over you
With your heart I'll never toy
And you're the other half of me
Drink and sleep and laugh with me

Take me from myself
See I'm a fucking basket case
Until I'm able to see your face
You saved me from myself

and just like that, the two had been connected by song.

But girl, don't worry 'bout me
'Cause it ain't new to me
Feeling this lonely
Darling baby, girl, don't worry about me

'Cause if you're ever unhappy
If you're ever unhappy
If you're ever, ever unhappy

Then maybe
Maybe baby, I must let you go

the song ended in both of their minds as they looked up to sneak a glance at eachother. that's when they knew. 

[a/n: this was more of a filler chapter, but i actually kind of like it. i just needed to get a chapter out. the karl x oc story is up btw! go check that out :)]