Chapter 1: Of Ghosts

"A gentle presence lingers,
Behind the cold damp walls,
Where memories of the past refuses to die;
Where silence envelopes the clear sky,
And oddly feels like a mournful dream"

Ghosts are remnants of our being, imprinted in the paths we loved to walk, the things we loved to do, and in the things we left undone. They are beings born from memories, memories gently imprinted on the sand of space and time. They lingers on, following the footsteps of these memories until those imprints eroded. These imprints are emotional memories, moments of pain and joy that are impactful and have a deep meaning in their past life. How poetic is the afterlife in this respect; ghosts chasing after ghosts until they are forgotten and slowly fades away into nothingness.
In the matter of their appearance, ghosts are subjected to our perception. The living have an impact on the dead more than the dead on the living. If we see them through the eyes of fear and hatred,  their appearance wraps into something monstrous and if we see them through the eyes of love and pity, they takes the form of beauty and fragility. There are the eyes of a child and the eyes of an adult as well. To the eyes of the imaginative child they appear fantastical in nature, like mythical beings from another world and to the eyes of an adult they appear normal, or they don't appear at all.
Generally their attention is not drawn towards the living and unlike most accounts, ghosts don't seek to possess a human being either. They're merely drawn to something that reminds them of their own life like a song or a sequence of events. Memories are powerful as they traverse across time and space, they make it possible to relive a moment and to feel its emotions.