Chapter 10: Different Kind of Monsters

Zoro observed the captain's short warm up routine with the staff. "Interesting," he muttered, as he felt his own excitement rising. He pulled out his third sword and put it into his mouth.

Tranquil anticipation settled onto the sparring ground while the two opponents stared at each other.

Nami gulped nervously. She felt tension rising between Zoro and Luffy, but couldn't understand why. They were only supposed to be having a friendly match weren't they? So what's up with all the pressure in the air?

Zoro was the first one to finally spring into action. He launched himself at Luffy, all three katanas gleaming dangerously in the light of the setting sun. The blades and the metal staff clinked sharply as Luffy blocked the attack. For several minutes Luffy was on the defensive, blocking or parrying the hits. When he switched into the offensive, it was Zoro's turn to block the blows from his opponent.

The pirates exchanged a few more strikes in a playful manner, before jumping away from each other. The swordsman smirked, and Luffy broke into his usual grin. The boy suddenly kicked off of the ground, leaping high into the air, and swung his staff down into the two crossed katanas.

Zoro bit his white katana even harder as he fended off Luffy's attack, trying not to kneel. His biceps almost went numb from the pure force of the blow. For being such a small guy, his captain certainly had an inhuman strength. Finally, the swordsman pushed the teen away, and instantly had to jump backwards because Luffy twisted his weapon around and thrust it forward aiming right at Zoro's stomach.

The swordsman crossed arms with both swords parallel to each other. "Oni Giri!" All three blades sang slicing the air, but Luffy ducked below them and swiftly kicked his sparring partner's legs out from under him.

Zoro dropped onto the ground with a groan. His eyes widened as he saw Luffy's leg stretched upwards right above him. He rolled to the side dodging the foot which shot back like a lightning bolt from the heavens. The earth cratered from the impact, deep cracks forming from the center.

Not wasting a moment, the green-haired pirate jumped to his feet, swung the two katanas, and clashed them against the defensively raised staff. He swiped at Luffy with the sword in his mouth. The teen yelped in surprise and hopped back to avoid it.

Zoro spun around. "Tatsu"- he started to mutter, before Luffy stabbed his staff into the ground, causing one of the swords to smash into it and thus breaking his special attack.

The black-haired boy yanked his weapon out, tucked it under his arm and swiveled around in the similar manner as Zoro, delivering a quick and powerful strike. The swordsman barely blocked it. The force flung him across the field and into the forest. Luffy bit the staff, stretched both arms to grab at the tree and slingshot himself after the three-sword user.

Nami slumped onto the bottom of her boat once both boys disappeared from view. Her eyes were still wide from shock. That fight, because she couldn't call it any other name, was more like a duel to the death between two enemies than a friendly sparring match between two nakama. Were they really trying to kill each other? The thief shook her head. Even if they were acquainted for only a couple of days, there was no way that they would actually wanted to harm each other, right?

The loud creaking of trees reached Nami's ears. Flocks of birds suddenly burst out of the forest as one of the trees toppled over. The navigator gaped. What the hell was wrong with those two?! They were both genuine monsters!

xxx

Zoro parried another attack from Luffy before swinging his weapons at him. The teen successfully dodged to the side, and the blades sliced another tree. It creaked painfully and collapsed.