3. Engagements In Order

"Pick up, pick up, pick up," I mumble impatiently, staring at my phone screen, waiting for my best friend to answer my Facetime. After five rings, she finally answers.

Olivia graces the screen, strands of her long caramel hair whipping around in the light breeze that can be heard ruffling through the speaker while the bright Georgia sunshine illuminates her cheerful, smiling face. We stare at each other for a moment before bursting with excitement.

"I got it!" we both scream at the exact same time, causing us to break out into thrilled shrieks, the biggest matching smiles spreading across our faces.

Like me, Olivia has also spent the last four years in med school and received her match today. I met her back in undergrad when we were assigned as lab partners freshman year with our then friend Quinton. Long story short, we're not friends with him anymore—but Olivia and I have remained best friends ever since. While I went off to California for med school, she stayed in Georgia at the same school we did our undergrad at, the distance never managing to dampen our friendship.

Olivia grew up in Georgia, her family is there, along with her boyfriend. I don't think she'll ever have the intention of leaving her home town, but I kind of admire her for that. She has very strong ties there and has always dreamed of working as a cardiac surgeon at Georgia's largest hospital, Hanner Memorial, that's ranked in the top five nationally for cardiology.

"No way! You got Hanner?" I confirm.

If possible, her smile widens. "Yes! And you got Warner?"

I bite my lip and an excited squeal escapes the back of my throat. "I did!"

I was thoroughly shocked when I read that I also matched at Warner for neurological surgery. I had to read the words five times over to actually start believing them. I thought for sure I was hallucinating and that there was no way two people from the same school would end up matching in the same competitive residency. Cindy had to prompt me to speak because I was standing up there gawking at my paper for too long in disbelief, holding up the ceremony.

"That's amazing!" Olivia praises. "I knew you could do it!"

Olivia of all people has probably endured my stress and complaining about making it to Warner the most, since she understands the process. Over the past four years, we've called each other at least once a week to bitch and complain and stress about med school and all that goes into applying for residency.

"So that means you kicked Brad's butt?" she asks, a hint of amusement in her voice. She knows all too well about my long running rivalry with him and how we were both gunning for Warner.

"Ass, Liv. Just say ass." Despite being twenty-six years old, Olivia still doesn't cuss. I don't think I've ever even heard her say the word damn. "And not quite."

Her brows pinch together and her head slightly tilts to the side in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"We both ended up getting Warner."

Her eyes widen. "You both got neurosurgery?"

"Yep," I deadpan, popping the P.

"Oh, wow." She shakes her head in disbelief. "That's..."

"Unheard of," I finish for her. "Yeah."

"Wow," she repeats, looking perplexed.

"Yeah, several more years of Brad," I mumble bitterly.

Olivia shrugs. "At least he pushes you to do better. Plus, I think you'd kind of miss him if he went somewhere else," she teases.

"Ha ha," I reply dryly.