SIX

Magnolia was deeply dreading Potions that morning, specifically due to the fact that she would have to face Sirius and his stupidly handsome face. However, this certainly did not stop her from applying her usual cherry lip gloss and using a curling spell to turn her hair into fiery waves. According to Hestia, if she was going to be mad at him, she should at least look good while doing so.

Sirius felt sick to his stomach as he stepped into the Potions classroom alongside Remus and Peter. Meanwhile, James was busy pestering his girlfriend as usual. Sirius had not slept well knowing that Magnolia had seen Emmeline pounce on him. His heart skipped a beat as his eyes landed on a certain fiery redhead sitting at their bench. Her face was concealed by the pewter cauldron, yet he could tell she was looking down, reading something.

"Hey," he breathlessly greeted, dropping his rucksack to the floor.

Magnolia's head snapped up, and her spine straightened as her bright green eyes clashed with his stormy grey ones.

"Er—hi," she replied, moving her Potions book out of the way so that he had space.

"Listen, Magnolia, about yesterday—"

"It's alright, Sirius. I get it— you guys have a—thing," she interrupted, staring down at the dainty gold rings adorning her manicured fingers.

"No! No, that's just it, we don't! It was a total misunderstanding, she came onto me and I stopped it as soon as I could. I swear to Merlin,"

"Hmm," Magnolia insisted, the ghost of a smile tugging on her lips. "Alright, I believe you. But I'm still rather upset,"

"Good morning class!" bellowed Slughorn as he bustled into the classroom. "Now, since it has not been a full lunar cycle, we cannot complete our Veritaserum quite yet. That must be done on the next full moon,"

Sirius glanced over at Remus, who suddenly looked a pale shade of green at the mention of the full moon. Magnolia thankfully did not notice.

"Therefore, we will be brewing the Wit-Sharpening Potion, page fifty eight in your books! Carry on!" Professor Slughorn declared cheerfully.

Sirius turned to admire Magnolia, who was thumbing through her textbook. Her lips were glossy, and a strand of fiery hair was inches from sticking to her sweet pink pout. He carefully reached out a tan arm and gently brushed the locks of flaming hair behind her ear. Magnolia looked up at him wide-eyed and surprised.

"You know, your flirting and charm isn't going to work on me, Black," quipped Magnolia, rising to her feet.

"Yeah? Why not?" he challenged with a sly smirk.

"Because I'm much more than just another one of the girls you shag! I've got— self-dignity!"

"Oh, so we're going to shag now, is that right?" he grinned.

"Fuck you, Black!" she snapped, turning on her heel towards the storage cupboard.

"Oh trust me doll, I'd love to," he called teasingly as she strode away. "But I'm a turning over a new leaf, I'm afraid!"

Magnolia felt her cheeks flush, but she knew she wasn't angry. She was frustrated because she was falling for Sirius whether she wanted to or not. After filling her arms with ingredients, she returned with her lips pouted and brow furrowed. The look on his smug, attractive face was driving her crazy.

"You're infuriating," she simply stated as she returned.

"Bloody hell, aren't Hufflepuffs supposed to be the nice ones?" Sirius gasped with feigned hurt.