Chapter 4 - Zombie hoards and revolving doors

"I thought there wasn't anyone in the office?" Dec asks with a frown as he returns his attention to navigating the many obstacles. 

"I didn't think anyone was in the office until he appeared out of nowhere." I mutter, still struggling to process it all. 

"And who are the strays." He nods his head to Karina and Roza who are huddled in the back and shooting him suspicious glances.

"Dec!" I snap, "I'm so sorry, he's not normally so rude."

Karina gives me a genuine smile, "You saved our lives and it's pretty much the end of the world, I can handle a little sass from your boyfriend."

"You hear that mister sassy pants." I snort as Dec rolls his eyes.

"I didn't mean to be rude," He groans, "I'm sorry, just wondering how you found my delightful girlfriend." He throws over his shoulder.

"We didn't really find her, she found us. Saved us from a group with nothing but a fire extinguisher." Karina says, still sounding impressed.

Dec gives me an incredulous look, "Eyes on the road gorgeous." I correct primly.

He obeys but I can still see him sneaking glances, "What made you choose the fire extinguisher of all things?"

"Well it was that or a chair in the reception and at least this gave me more coverage." I reply breezily, "Also I've stubbed my toe on those chairs and they're pretty damn heavy so I didn't think I'd be able to lift one."

Dec bursts out laughing, "Of course."

"So where are we going? Sorry, Dec was it?" Karina asks after a moment.

I smack my forehead with my palm, "Oh right I'm so sorry, that was rude of me. Karina, this is my boyfriend Dec. Dec, this is Karina and Roza."

At my introduction Roza peeks round at me and gives a little smile. I catch Dec watching in the mirror. "You just have to be the hero don't you?" He chuckles.

"Me? You're the one protecting the public every day." I throw back.

"Yeah, but you're the one who wants to actually save everyone."

I laugh, but he's right. I'm a street fundraisers wet dream. I cannot pass a good cause without want to do something or help someone.

"In answer to your question, I'm planning to aim for my Uncle's house. He lives in a little village and has some land which houses a small farm. Hoping it's secluded and self-sufficient enough that we can avoid needing to go near infected areas to often. Need to get some supplies on the way though so I can drop you guys somewhere if you'd like." Dec explains.

"No, no. We umm-" Karina chokes back what sounds suspiciously like a sob, "we have nowhere to go so we'd appreciate sticking with you both if you are sure you don't mind?"

I look back over my shoulder at her and see the pain in her eyes, "Of course we don't mind."

"Thank you. Someone was smiling down on us when you found us." She says softly.

I'm not sure anyone is smiling down on anything right now as I examine the scenery. We are beginning to leave the city now and approaching the more familiar Kent views I love.

"Mama?" Roza asks.

"Yes my love?" Karina's response is instantaneous and I can feel her love from here.

"Will there be ducks on the farm?"

The innocence of the question makes my heart clench. Despite circumstances which will likely force her to grow up far quicker than she should, she is still a child.