Episode 1.5: Beauty Lies In The Eyes Of The Beholder

◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌

EVERY NIGHT, I have a strange dream.

In it, is a woman I can't recognize.

In it, we laugh, and smile, and talk for hours.

She wraps me up in a gentle embrace. Wipes my tears. Brushes my hair. She speaks to me in a soft, loving voice, and on her tongue, my name is a pretty whisper in the wind.

Then, I wake up.

In the house I've lived in for thirteen years.

With my mother who birthed me and my father who neglected me.

With my older sister and brother who've achieved far greater than me.

I do not know her.

I don't.

So why does she keep appearing?

◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌

• FRIDAY •

It's missing.

It's missing.

It's missing.

"Fuyune?"

After school, at the entrance of the art room where the Pretty Boy Detective Club gather, Mayumi stands, stock-still. I'm shaking, stomach churning with enough force to nauseate me.

"M-m-m-my n-n-note—"

"Calm down," she interjects, pink eyes wide and alert. "I can't understand what's wrong."

"M-m-m-mis-s— It-t-t—"

"It?"

"D-d-desk— M-m-my—"

As big of a mess as I am, I'm incoherent. I flail my arms to make up for my inability to articulate myself. Mayumi falters a step, a dribble of sweat forming on her brow.

"Is this a game of charades? Am I supposed to guess whatever you're gesturing?" Gulping hard in an effort to steel her resolve, she extends her index finger. "Balloon! No, a box! Backpack—"

I desperately grasp at strands of my long, white hair.

"You're wearing a wig!" she says, confidently.