Episode 1.6: At Midnight, The Glass Slipper Falls

◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌

• SATURDAY •

IN ORDER TO uncover further information about the case, the Pretty Boy Detective Club commence their investigation.

Hyota sprints to every corner of the school, visiting the sites of the various incidents, and dragging Mayumi along with him. According to Manabu, Mayumi's eyes are crucial to finding things that normally remain unseen, which is why she was forced to tag along. Running around with Hyota seemed to be the last thing she wanted, though. Hyota is the track team's ace. Of course she didn't have the stamina to keep up with him.

In the clubroom, Sosaku sketches beautiful diagrams of the interrelated events, weaving connections between them like constellations in the night sky.

Among his sketches are portraits of me where I'm fidgeting or pacing in circles. Even now, I can't believe he noticed how anxious I was. I'll never live this down.

In the meantime, Michiru retraces my steps—from the moment I entered the school building yesterday morning to the moment I lost my notebook. He stops by the lost and found to officially rule out that I haven't dropped it or misplaced it too.

Manabu, the fifth-grade leader, barks out orders while also talking at length about the concept of beauty. Simultaneously, Nagahiro makes phone calls to the affected students and staff.

We make massive progress by the time the sun sets behind the clouds. However. . .

"Um?"

Sosaku's sharp-edged stare stops me from leaving the art room. His facial features are iced into place, giving no wriggle room into his thoughts. I sweatdrop, unable to move.

"Is something wrong?" I ask again.

Manabu pokes his head into the fray. "What is this, Sosaku? Are you worried about Fuyune-kun?"

Worried?

Sosaku's lengthy black eyelashes descend, until his eyelids cover half of his stunning blue irises. Manabu bobs his head up and down in rapid succession.

"I see," he says. "Fuyune-kun has lost something precious to her, and is rather shaken up about it. You have doubts about whether or not she will be able to make it home safely."

The silence on Sosaku's part catches me off guard. Hold on. How is Manabu getting this information? From what I can gather, it's been a completely one-sided conversation. Unless, someway, somehow, Manabu can read Sosaku's mind?

"Now that you mention it, it is concerning," Michiru speaks up. Unbeknownst to me, I've been surrounded by the rest of them. "I wouldn't put it past Hisoki to forget to look both ways before she crosses the street. It's only a matter of time before she's run over by a truck."