Episode 1.4: The Bossman And The Councilman

◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌

THE LIGHTHEARTED MOOD between us takes an unforeseen U-turn. As if I've been entombed beneath the bitter snow, a chilling cold spreads throughout my chest, freezing my lungs, and stabbing my heart.

Am I keeping a secret from them?

The cruel thoughts bubble up one by one.

Am I purposefully excluding information that they need to solve my mystery?

Is it a truth I can easily tell them?

Sometimes, I wonder.

Sometimes, I ask myself.

If the reason I can't remember, if the reason I've forgotten and keep forgetting, is because of this secret that's unclear to me.

Watching me ruthlessly wrack my brain for an answer, Michiru brushes back messy strands of his red hair. He readjusts his bandana and says he must be imagining it. Then, out of consideration for me, the girl who's brought nothing but trouble, who is nothing but trouble, he whips up the tastiest gourmet breakfast I've ever had the honour of consuming.

One thing I'm assured of, though, is that if this is a secret I can readily unearth and disclose to others, I wouldn't be here on the verge of tears every day.

◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌ ◌

• THURSDAY •

"Even jokes don't work on you? I'm starting to believe you've never laughed a day in your life."

Footsteps resound against the pavement. Beside me is Michiru, his bag slung haphazardly over his shoulder, chin jutted high in the air. We stroll through campus side by side. Similar to yesterday, Michiru had dragged me to the clubroom to taste-test another one of his culinary masterpieces. This time, I obliged with little to no resistance. In my diaries, there's never been an instance where I ever "skipped" class. Yesterday was against my will. So, today is a first.

Besides, Michiru is wrong. I don't lack a funny bone. As we speak, I'm walking next to the most notorious delinquent at Yubiwa Academy, chatting like we're equals, and listening to his attempts at cracking clever wisecracks and puns. Surely, this situation is as hilarious as they come.

"Are you sure about this?"

I blink, flitting my attention to Michiru. "Sure?" I ask.