Chapter 16

Anushka's POV:

6 of them are picked out, now only 4 remain.
Are we never going to get a way out anymore?
Why are we here like trapped mice?

The question makes my veins force all its blood in my chest and breathing becomes harder than it already has become.

When he said 'the whole night', my scribnled and confused mind who couldn't even tell what 5x5 was anymore at that time, but first thing I think about is my family, the people I love, who must be trying to find me by this time if the man behind the speaker was right. My mind refuses to accept anything right now so I move my hand for my bag to pull out my phone and look at the time. I stand still as the realisation of absence of my bag hits me.

I look around at others who stand their absentmindedly saying nothing and probably thinking about what to do next.

They have already realised it, the last hours without my phone and touching my bag almost 0 times has had it on my mind. Now I hate being here more. Our bags, phones, money, everything is taken away. Is he a maniac? A thief? Or simply...a brat? Last words of his sentence clarify all these words to be true and appropriate on him.

I swallow the heavy lump in my throat and sit on the ground with my hands on my knees supporting my head. Finally tears roll down my eyes and the situation makes me feel fragile, weak, incapable of making any move. First time. It was the First Time I was allowed to go with every friend and experience a moment that felt complete and now.

A hand on my shoulder shifts my attention out of my mind to the atmosphere around me that I regretted to be in. I look up at Sujata, but she's not looking at me but thinking something and trying to comfort me at the same time. I take a deep breath hoping it'd calm me down and stand up trying to stable my mind.

"The probability is only 1/4 now", Nikhil's voice reach my ears.

"Let's end this here", Shahadah speaks up and I move my hand to catch her's.

The probability of me being the last one remaining is less, so there's very less chances of me being the last one remaining. I just need to see this game from their perspective.

"One match and A Two, Another out of the blue", as we chant, my racing heart could be heard clearly fearing it might stop beating.

The hands go down and the claps fill the silent in the corridor we were standing in.

Two hands closed and Two hands including mine were open. "That calls it a draw again", Diya groaned.

"Come Onn!", Shubham curses, "Not again".

The speakers made a 'Bzzzt' sound again but this time in continuation.

After a long 'Bzzzt' the sound came, 'My son Harry woke up late for school today', he said, 'I told him he should Harry Up!'

The moment paused and everyone stood silent, after the speaker went off.

"Hehhhhh!!!", everyone reacted.

"What in the actual fu-", Chandrakant reacted.

"That's the shittiest dad joke I've ever heard", said Nikhil.

"It was a joke?", I asked before Diya walked to me and patted my shoulders.

If the man is funny enough to even think about making a joke in this situation, then we're most probably safe, right? Trying to comfort myself from talking to myself, I let out a long breath and my hand is again caught by Sujata which signaled we should begin again.

While we chanted, the idea ran like bolt. Yes, this could be it. If the last time majority was picked our because one person changed hands and noone did, then this time, Yess! I could simply change my hand and since they are most likely to put up the same hands like they did in the last 3 rounds

Therefore...I look at Sujata who had the same hand position as mine last time.

Our claps again fill the silence of the entire hallway, I had never thought I'd do such a deed, but it was destined to happen.

I look at the hands below and...

My eyes sting open as I see Shubham and Shahadah change their position from the last time just how I planned it for myself, but as soon as I quickly change my gaze to Sujata's hands, she didn't change her hand.

It was over. The majority looked at me with eyes filled with more concerned looks at me. Why?! No?! Wait?! Why did they change their-!?

I sit on the floor again, covering my ears and shutting my eyes, regretting my decision that I took 10 seconds ago.

A pair of feet stood in front of me as I watched with slight opened eyes and blurry vision filled with tears, while I protested to look or hear anything.

He sat down and kept on my back. I looked up a little at him who was wearing all blue and yellow like light. "I am sorry", Nikhil's mouth produced the words he more than whispered. I wanted to shout how he should be, why I hate this guy to death and cursing him to my hearts content. He is the reason this is happening.

I looked at everyone as a high pitch sound slowly faded in my ears, they all looked beautiful to be honest. 5? 6? 10? A decade and I know these people.

The ringing slowly becoming louder and louder, becoming unbearable, with shaky breaths I get up on two of my feet and grit my teeth looking at all of them trying to hold me while I hit my head on the back of the wall. Starting to get black, my vision blurred and I raised one of my hand towards the thin tall guy with specs who just said the last words I heard before starting to actually fade away, I could tell they were holding my body and shouting my name as I read their lips and my last innocent thoughts came to my mind about agreeing to come here.

'Thik hai, chalega'

This time...will pass...and I'll slap the fuc- out of them all when I wake up.