Chapter 2: Only a yellow circle

Many say life is not fun without challenges

Many say life is not fun without challenges. They keep explaining how obstacles push us to do our best. Well, I beg to differ. Who would enjoy problems? The answer is simple: people who hate themselves. Learning is good, but not in a way that makes you miserable. If I could, I'd change my reality. Although happy moments weren't absent, some improvement wouldn't hurt. Being a good-looking twenty-six-year-old Venetian wasn't so bad. Living in the year 1405 didn't bother me much either. However, belonging to a group everyone despised was the opposite of easy.

On that evening, I couldn't complain. I wore my favorite outfit, which was a dark-grey tunic, black pants, and brown boots. A beautiful woman walked with me while gazing at the sky. I felt slightly ignored, but I couldn't compete with the sunset. The lady only talked about how she loved how Venice was a city above water, so I yawned. Women deserve praise for putting up with our subjects because my patience wasn't great. Even though we held hands, I felt empty.

"You're the most charming man I've ever met," she put both hands around my neck. "I never want this evening to end."

"Perfect," I smiled and pulled her closer by the waist. "Would you like to have some fun?"

The woman sighed. "I could never say no to you."

I chuckled softly. "So, what are we waiting for?"

We laughed and started kissing fervently. I felt that woman's sweet taste while running my hands through her hair. Luckily, the emptiness didn't go away. I was determined to make that lack of attachment a part of me. The last thing I needed was to fall for someone.

She subtly licked her lips. "When are we seeing each other again?"

Here we go...

Gulping, I thought of a way to let her down gently. I had done it before since my relationships never lasted, but it hurt me every time. I promised myself I'd never truly like somebody despite wanting some romance. It'd be impossible for me to succeed in a long-term commitment. Honestly, I'd feel bad for the girl if she thought I could be a good partner. The disappointment was guaranteed.

"You're great, but it's better if we go our separate ways," I slowly let go of her hands. "I'm really sorry."

"Don't worry," she winked. "If you ever change your mind, you know where to find me."

I shot her a flirtatious glance. "I most definitely do."

Once she left, I walked to my dad's store. On the way, three women smiled at me. I returned the gesture, of course. Two others waved while giggling... Yes, things were too good to be true. The joy ended as three men passed by while whispering. They pointed at the yellow circle on my tunic. That stupid badge defined who I was. Everyone from my community was required to wear that ugly thing. The Catholic Church made us pay a fine or something worse if we didn't.

People should find better things to do than look down on others.

I huffed once I arrived at the rag shop. My people only had two job options: moneylending or selling rags. Dad put new products on a wooden table while ignoring my mother. I admired her strength because my father wasn't worth the effort. We both had dark-brown eyes, medium straight hair of the same color, and light skin. Other than appearance, my dad and I had nothing in common. My mom had the same skin tone, but her eyes were blue, and she had long straight light-brown hair. She was forty-five, like my dad.