The night we meet

I remember it like it was yesterday. It was October 1st. I wasn't planning on going out that night. I was severely depressed, my older brother had moved away the year before... and it hit me... really hard. He was my best friend. We were never apart. And now he was half way across America. 

But my brother begged me to go to the football game for him and say hi to his friends for him, and hopefully make a few friends for myself.  he told me to wear his blue shirt that said "section leader" on the back of it. he said all of his friend would instantly know who i was. i really didn't want to...  4 hours of loud music, screaming... and worst of all... human beings...  and interacting  with them... gross

my parents agreed and drove me, i brought my beloved trumpet, my most prized possession. ill play in the band and maybe enjoy myself a little bit... i walk in to the band room and get my stuff ready, everyone else leaves down to the field. i have a habit of  being the last out. but then he walked in... 

Romantic attraction isn't for me... at all... but that changed with one glance. 

he looked at me smiled, and walked out. i followed, my friend was waiting for me in front of him so i rushed up to her  and carefully passed him. we quietly talked. i herd him sigh and i swear...  butterflies  did flips all over in my empty stomach.

i went to my spot on the bleachers and set up. my friend was off in her own world so i was alone... surrounded by people. 

that boy walked up... right next to me... set his stuff up. my heart dropped, he pulled out a trumpet! he played trumpet too!! he looked at me and smiled. a heart melting smile, i caught myself starring. 

"hey! i was looking at you, and your shirt seems familiar...  then the blonde hair, blue eye... may i ask if your brother is Mason?"

"yes, he is." my face turned so many different shades of red.

"sweet! I dont think you know who i am..."

i looked at him for a moment. recalling the yearbook pages my brother shared with me...

"your... Drew... right?" 

"you do know me! sweet! well me and Mason were pretty good friends"

"i know... he told me alot about you."

"Cool!"

He was so cool... his voice charming... but it soon was raspy, he would yell all the chants as loud as he could and cheer so loud! and i didn't even mind...

the rest of the night was filled with laughter and smiles... not just from him.  he shared stories, and i asked if stories my brother told me were true. by the 2nd quarter i was cheer along with him.  he introduced me to many of his and my brothers friends and they all seemed to adore me.  

"wait a minute... HEY BAND WE HAVE A BIRTHDAY!!!!" he said

"no!" i exclaimed knowing exactly what was about to happen.

the whole band began sing happy birthday to me. but he was the loudest. so many eyes watching me.  but i just stared back at his dreamy eyes. it was like there was no one else around just him and me. it was a tradition that stared with my brother. every band event they sang happy birthday to him... i guess i was next in line.

when they were done i laughed a bit and he put his hand on my shoulder.

" you look just like him..." 

"yeah, and hes really hot!" piped out his friend from behind him.

he blushed. and took his hand off my shoulder. I was a blushing mess to. he didn't deny it... i told myself smiling. 

during half time he stayed right by my side. and same for the rest of the game.  by the end of the quarter, before we cleaned up we took a picture... he got so close... he put his arm around me. and i couldn't breath. 

"hey we are all going out for ice cream... you can ride with my in the front seat of my car... i can take you home to."

i could tell right away it was an honor to be invited to ride in his car. he had so many people asking him.. as well as girls fawning over him. but he offered it to me... and only me.

" i would love to! but that was my parent one rule.. sorry..." i wasn't lying. i so badly wanted to go with him and to this day i wonder what would've happend if i was able to go.

he walked me back to the band room and we talked a bit more. we said goodbye and i went home a smiley mess.