Chapter 18

"We drink the poison our minds pour for us and wonder why we feel so sick"

Atticus

---

Shu was shaking his foot, looking outside the muggy windows of the ancient taxi they were driving. They were back in Mexico. The last few days he had been training senseless with Free. Both of them together were a bad combination, they agreed later on. They were ambitious. Too much that is. None of them had any clue about the time and tended to launch themselves into hours of training without realising the time ticking off the minutes. Shu inwardly grins, reminiscing of the busy but pleasant few days with the blonde. It was a good change from these hazardous plans he was involving himself with.

"Was it exciting?" Norman asked, not trying to hide the hint of smile apparent on his worn-out face.

Shu nodded, "Yeah. I'm going to give my best out there today"

Norman nodded, "That's good."

"Any information about Lav's-" Norman shook his head, cutting him off mid sentence. It was a perfect mantra which had been escaping his lips for the past few days. He knew Liam wouldn't come back. But it was hard to let him go when his killer was out there. Free and alive. Looking for another victim to fall upon their hands. Shu nodded in acknowledgment, unable to keep the disappointment off his face. He wouldn't try anyway. Norman knew him too well.

After arriving at the location Norman dropped him off. The bluetooth tracker was safe inside his pocket. Shu placed the mask in place, held his head high and started making his way towards the beydisk. Lui had chosen a location remote from human habitat. The only sound was the call of the birds and the distant roar of wind rushing past him. As Shu made his way, he could make out the figure of his nemesis, standing with that boisterous look of his, his arms crossed. His violet eyes gleaming with mock courtesy. "Fancy meeting you in a battle" He spoke, voice dripping with venom. "Red Eye"

Shu flinched, a pit forming in his stomach. Does he know? He cast away the feeling and took his stance without a word. Their beys could do the talking. He cannot afford to lose here. The first battle was blazing from the start. Shu kept his eyes glued to the disk. He could feel the power of Luinor, pushing past his Spryzen. He cursed under his breath. Lui had gotten strong. Overwhelmingly strong that is. Shu tried to push through the barrier of strength clashing against his Spryzen. Push through, he commanded silently. The beys clashed in one final attack and went flying through the air. Just before his bey could hit the ground, Lui caught it with his hand with a feral grin painting over his face. Shu clicked his tongue in frustration, wondering for the reasons behind this shameless act. Was he trying to humiliate him? In fact, the albino knew he did not have to question it. From their first match, the two had - especially Lui in that case, had shown an intense rivalry against him. The scar on his eye, the fragments of his broken Spryzen were evidence for it. Despite all these, Shu respected Lui's passion as a blader. He was just like them, driven by the maddening passion to reach the top.

The two took their stances again and in a moment of time, the beys flew into the disk. Shu watched, his eyes hidden behind the red shaded mask. His silent command for Spryzen was to drive forward. He couldn't afford to lose this match. Ironic as it seems, the whole future of Beyblade depended upon this simple match.

Shu felt his gaze burning against his skin. If Lui did know who he was, the White Tyrant did not make any attempt to announce it. At first, Shu was confident enough to feel the strength of Spryzen breaking the boundaries and pushing back Luinor. The iron inscribed bey pushed back, slightly faltering against the massive force released by the crimson bey.