01: outset

"Oy, 11 o'clock." Gwyn, my best friend, whispered into my ear while stealing a subtle glance at my left side, sipping on her margarita.

I secretly followed Gwyn's line of sight and there, I saw a woman sitting delicately on one of the L-shaped couches with a glass of what seemed like bourbon in her hand and an arm draped over the back of the couch with her legs crossed over one another, just oozing of sex appeal.

She was garbed in an all-white outfit: a sleeveless crop top with a plunging neckline, wide-leg khaki pants and a black belt that complemented her short black hair. She was also embellished with jewelry on her wrists, neck, ears, and her fingers were bejeweled with gleaming rings... it was a lot... the tautness of her abdominal muscles were... obvious, too, to say the least. And those narrow eyes, they looked so fierce yet kind at the same time. What an absolute stunner.

I was foolish enough to stare, watching the way her lips curved up in a small smirk as she raised her glass my way and gave me a suave nod. Oh god, she caught me staring! That's so embarrassing! I blushed and had no choice but to mimic her as courtesy.

I never looked again after that.

"Kanina ka pa talaga niya tinitingnan, oy!" Tinusok ni Gwyn ang tagiliran ko at pasimpleng sumulyap ulit sa direksyon ng babae bago nagpakawala ng tili, kinikilig. "Omg, what if isang Mommy Carol pala ang para sa 'yo imbes na Richard!" she squealed excitedly again, referencing the movie 'Carol'. Nag-imagine pa nga.

Napairap ako. "Stop blowing things out of proportion, baka hindi naman sinasadya," rason ko na maski ako ay nahirapang paniwalaan. I can feel her eyes on me. 

"Oo, mga thirty minutes niya nang hindi sinasadya," sarkastiko niyang sabi at inirapan din ako. 

"Stop that!" Naiinis na saway ko sa kaniya nang akmang ituturo niya at hinatak siya paupo sa tabi ko. I don't want that woman to think that we're talking about her... even if we are. Mahirap na, baka isipin noon interesado ako. Medyo, pero hindi naman 'yon importante. She was just really pretty, that's all.

Gwyn just stuck her tongue out at me. Isip-bata. "Alam mo, kung ako sa 'yo, go na 'ko diyan. Mommy na mommy ang dating, oh! Mukhang yayamanin pa." Gwyn wiggled her eyebrows at me and made a money gesture while rubbing her thumb against her index and middle finger.

"Buti na lang hindi ako ikaw," pabalang na sagot ko at sumimsim sa cocktail ko. I also adjusted my seat since I suddenly got self-conscious.

Hinampas niya ako sa braso. "Sige na! Malay mo nasa older women pala ang true love!" Pamimilit niya pa.

"Tigil-tigilan mo ako, Leonor." I hid my smirk behind my glass when I used her first name.

Gwyn gasped dramatically and feigned offense. "Anak ng! Walang ganiyanan, gagi 'to." Napakamot siya sa ulo at umismid. "Bahala ka nga! Basta ako, maghahanap ako ng lalaki. I deserve this. Deserve kong lumandi right here, right now!" Sigaw niya, halatang tipsy na talaga.

"Text me kung may kasama pa ba akong umuwi," I rolled my eyes. Minsan kasi nakakakuha talaga siya ng lalaki... or babae, at kinabukasan na uuwi, kaya ang ending, naiiwan ako. I don't mind, sanay na ako. "And make sure to turn your location on. In fact, ngayon pa lang buksan mo na. Mamaya niyan kalimutan mo na naman."