Chapter 9

Ezia POV
I was afraid if I’d lost my half-brother back then he’d been my best friend since childhood we’d grown up together, gone to school together, even though we were in different classes.

I didn’t want to endanger him if something happened to him I’d never forgive myself but then I noticed Max waking up I tapped Ecel on the shoulder,

“Ecel, your boyfriend woke up,” I said, trying to sound casual.

She looked at Max he slowly opened his eyes.

“How many days did I sleep?” He asked, his voice a little raspy from sleep.

Max was really handsome but I wasn’t going to try to take him from Ecel they were a perfect match Erson was always so jealous.

When I talked to other men he’d always come over and make silly scenes I thought it was time for him to change his attitude to be mindful.

To be friendly, to not be jealous I’d been hoping for this for years but I was tired of understanding him for so many years.

“Yesterday,” Reycel said, her voice filled with concern.

“So, how do you feel today, Max?” She was so kind to him I was really jealous.

I looked at Erson, he was very handsome but sometimes he was such a weird jerk anyway he took.

My hand smiling at me and kissing my forehead after a few minutes we finally arrived at the Benjamin 'Bugsy' Siegel Hideout.

“Venezia and Ecel, stay here with Max and Aren,” Grayson said.

He looked like a soccer player number three he’d made our university popular.

“Gran, be careful, please,” I said, my voice laced with worry.

He smiled at me again Ecel and I stayed in the black van with Max and Aren.

After a few hours they returned they were bringing Meghan.

“They’re here,” I said, my voice a whisper.

Ecel looked out the window Aren was still asleep on my left shoulder the van door opened and Meg.

Entered oh my gosh the kidnappers had beaten her badly she had bruises all over her body.

“Bes, how long did they beat you?” I asked, my voice filled with concern.

She turned to look at me.

“Overnight, B… Max?” Meghan said, her voice a mix of surprise and confusion.

Wait how did Meg know Max?

“Couz?” Max said, his voice a questioning murmur.

Wait were they related? If so why hadn’t Meg told us about her family background before?

“We must go now before the kidnappers chase us,” Jefferson said, his voice urgent.

Gran started the engine and quickly left the area.  We were half-way to Redding it was about 10 hours and 22 minutes (637 miles) the trip to Seattle should.

Take nine hours and 27 minutes (594 miles) before we reached Seattle while watching the road we saw a 2020 Mercedes-Benz X-Class, black, chasing us.

“Hey, Gran, someone’s tailing us,” I said, my voice tight with fear.

He looked in the side mirror.

“Shit, it’s them,” he said, his voice grim.

He sped up a little bit.

“Gran, please,” I said, my voice a plea.

He understood what I meant he was about to protest.

“No, I don’t want you to…” He started, but I cut him off.

“I won’t miss this time, I promise you,” I said, my voice firm.

He finally agreed to my option.

“What are you two talking about?” Erson asked, his eyes fixed on me his reaction was unclear.

“You have to hold half of Venezia’s body,” Gran said, his voice a low murmur.

Erson couldn’t understand what Gran had said.

“Huh? What does it mean?” He asked, his brow furrowed with confusion.

Damn it why didn’t my stupid boyfriend know anything?

“Babe, you have to trust us,” I said, rolling my eyes, ignoring him.

“Babe, give my bag to my half-sister,” Gran said, his voice firm.

Ecel was shocked after she heard what Gran had said.

“Shit, you’re out of bullets,” I said, my voice a low murmur.

I stared at Gran, searching for a bullet in his bag, but it was empty.

“You can use mine,” Ecel said, handing me her belt bag.

I opened it revealing a pair of silent guns.

“Thanks for letting me borrow it,” I said, my voice a mix of relief and gratitude.

I really appreciated her cooperation before opening the van door I gave Gran instructions.

“Hey, listen to me. After I shoot the wheels of our enemy, you need to speed up, okay?” I said, my voice firm.

We were always partners in our mission.

“Iron that,” Gran said, his voice a quiet affirmation.

I opened the van door ready to aim for the wheels let’s get it on.

“Babe, hold me tight,” I said, my voice a whisper.

He was really scared if I’d gone he’d have been lost I started shooting.

It worked but I needed more bullets to puncture the wheels the second.

Shot almost threw the van off balance then we heard Aren screaming.

“What the fuck?” Erson exclaimed, turning to look at her.

“Stay calm, Aren. It’s all fine now,” he said, trying to soothe her.

She nodded slowly this was my last shot it would end the kidnappers’ chase here we go I fired the final.

Shot Erson pulled me back into the van slamming the door shut Gran followed my instructions.

We were halfway to Portland about two hours and 32 minutes (165 miles) before we reached Seattle.

“Wow, you’re badass back there,” Aren said, her voice laced with admiration.

I smiled at her we had to fight back against those zombies soon I remembered my dad’s survival tips I’d put them in our van.

That meant they knew the virus would spread to LA, California I needed to get those survival tips as soon as possible but then.

I heard Erson calling me, I stared at him but I didn’t react after a few minutes everyone fell asleep except for me and Gran.

“Hey, Gran, when did you meet Aren?” I asked, my voice a quiet whisper.

I was curious about their relationship.

“Two years ago at Starbucks in New York,” he said, his voice calm.

I thought it was more than a friend wait no way Gran’s ex-girlfriend was Aren after a few minutes we finally arrived.

In Seattle all the buildings were unrecognizable dad's company I have been grown up since birth the cured years.