An old friend.

∆~Darryl~∆

As I step into the hall, I wonder where that one kid must have gone, or where his next class is.

He did say he had room 314 later... I believe that's science.

Is it creepy that I remember that?

I think he looks pretty nice. Like as in he doesn't look too mean... hopefully he isn't..

I wonder if I'll see him at lunch.

It's not like I have any actual friends to sit with anyways.

I squeeze my way down the tightly packed hallway, apologizing to those I accidentally hit with my backpack.

I personally went to orientation just so I wouldn't be one of the people crowding around one of the various maps plastered on the walls.

I somehow get to my third period, and honestly I'm surprised I got out of that in one piece. There was lots of shoving and pushing, and I swear I heard a few poor souls cry for help before drowning into the crowd.

The classroom for English is fairly full, compared to advisory. Most people didn't make it in until around halfway through the period.

As more people trickled in, I started to look around to see if I knew anyone.

Most faces were unfamiliar, probably kids from other schools, or other people I just hadn't seen last year.

Then I saw her.

Allison.

My heart dropped, the depraved stir in the bottom of my stomach from last night quickly returning.

I watch as she giggles with her friends in front of the classroom, probably talking about her newest boyfriend.

I always wonder how she managed to keep friends- perhaps she threatened those who'd attempt to leave her as well.

Or perhaps she's just that good at manipulating, as keeping on the mask is second nature to her.

She finishes giggling and her eyes shift over to my side of the classroom.

I immediately look away as I try to cover my face, hoping she doesn't recognize me.

I don't need problems caused by her this year.

I glance up to see if she saw me, just to meet her eyes.

I froze.

She grinned at me and waved, turning and beginning to walk in my direction.

No.

She strides came closer, every step making her smile grow wider, her mouth stretching ear to ear.

My heart palpatated, a dizzy sensation keeping my mind in headlock. I was unable to move; a deer in headlights.

But before anything could escalate further, to my disbelief, the teacher threw the door open and shoo-ed everyone who was standing up to sit down.

Allison included, flashing me a brief smile before seating merely two rows away.

"Hello everyone. My name is Ms. Thompson and I'll be your English teacher for the year."

A few people still chatted, and I watched Ms. Thompson stare them down with an evil glare before they shut up.

"In my classroom, we won't have assigned seats, but if you cause too much of a ruckus, I will infact move you."
She glances back the kids who were talking before, then to everyone else.

Her hand grasps a ruler tightly, and holds it almost as a reminder that a few decades ago she probably could've beaten us if we were barely out of line.

"Is that clear?"

"Yes ma'am." Most of the class answered.

An unsettling smile unravels on her face.

"Good."

Words : 567