Chapter 1

“I was a student when the headaches started.

At first I thought it was lack of sleep from studying, but the first couple of weeks the headaches only came when I was reading my history books. It was strange how whenever I closed the book the headache went away. After a while I thought it stopped on it’s own but, then came the dreams...

The nightmares.

It was not always the same thing but the people, I kept seeing the same people... people I’ve never met but it was always the same faces haunting me every night – the same smiles, the same pain as I was lying on the floor, my hand in front of me lifeless and bloodied as a shadowy figure walked towards me. Even now years later, most nights I wake up to the pain of being stabbed by something.

But one thing is for sure – these are not something my mind made up on it’s own.”

“Good morning Your Highness”, said the royal guard to the figure walking towards him slowly. The morning sunlight was always overshadowed by the smile of the crown prince, his eyes as bright as the stars that decorate the night sky. “Good morning “ he replied in a voice as warm as the summer breeze.

His presence was something one could never ignore, no matter who met his gaze, they were left mesmerized – even the people who had seen him grow up over the years. “Good morning Your Highness “ chimed the staff of the palace, as he made his way towards the main palace, where he wished to speak with his father.

“But why do you wish to do this? It is too dangerous, you know the people of the kingdom look at us with cold hearts”, said the elder who sat in front of Changgu. His face still filled with worry and grief as he continued “The people think we are the enemy right now, I cannot possibly let you go on your own amidst them”. Before he could continue the younger replied “But nobody knows me father, no one has ever seen me before and...” he pauses as he thinks to himself. “Is now not the right time to visit them and understand why they have this hostility?” , he continues with a hopeful smile that is reflected in his voice. “Son”, said the king with a heavy heart but as Changgu reached out and held his elder’s hands, his father looked at him as if he saw his own younger self - that same stubbornness, the same will.

The older man left out a deep sigh as he gave in to his son’s wishes, saying “Promise me you won’t  go anywhere far and return before it is dark” and the younger’s smile widened in an instant. “Father I won’t disappoint you, I will be careful” he said while practically beaming with happiness. As someone who had never seen anything outside the long sprawling walls of the palace, it was something new to him and his excitement far outweighed the fear he had of the dangers that came with this predicament.

Yet, the things that give you happiness are not always separate from the ones that lead you down the path of doom.