Chapter 3

“My entire childhood, every bit of happiness I might have had disappeared in one night.

As the son of a corrupt police officer there wasn’t much chance of anything good after the news broke out. Everyone turned against him in the span of hours, people who have known him for his entire life felt like they never knew him at all. My parents separated a month after the chaos but I was too little... I just missed my father. He was always the person I looked up to and it all felt like a lie. The entire world felt like it was out to get him and with such thoughts in my mind – I ran away from home that night...

Only to stand there helplessly as I saw my father’s body fall down... bleeding and lifeless... the man in uniform standing over him with a knife in his hand .”

The shouting men seemed anxious after the display of the taller male. The eyes around them were adding to the tension, as the townsfolk saw one man put two royal guards in their place with such poise. Changgu stood facing away from them still while holding the child, but soon he was met with relief as one of the guards bellowed “we’re – WE’RE LETTING YOU OFF EASY THIS TIME” while running towards his horse. As the other limped across and both rode off, he let out a deep sigh, finally turning around after a pause.

“It was as if time stopped... having lived a life of privilege, I have never been devoid of beauty and perfection but this was different... he... is so different”

As their eyes met, both stood still while looking into each other’s eyes. Although they knew they had never met before then, it felt familiar – it felt like fate. Changgu being lost in thought was mirrored by the man who now stood facing him. Both in awe of each other, the stares around them didn’t matter anymore, but as if brought out of a trance they both jolted as the other children came to the rescue of their friend – who was still holding onto Changgu’s  waist.

“Are you okay?”, “Did they hurt you?”, “I was so close to hitting them” – all the children continuously mentioning their concern for the little one, their voices filled with both worry and anger. Seeing such mixed reactions the child starts to slowly laugh along with the others and seeing such a sight brings smiles on both the men’s faces. The people finally relieved that they are okay, some pat the children’s heads to comfort them while a woman calls for the two men. “Please come eat at my shop, it will be on the house”, she said with a huge smile on her face. “Children come I’ll  make some warm rice”, continues the elder and the children hold onto both Changgu and the stranger who saved them – tugging at them to go along. Of course, none of them could say no.

As they all sat together to share a meal, Changgu now had a chance to steal a few glances at the man in front of his eyes. He seemed so different, joking with the children, playing with them as they waited for the food and laughing as brightly as the little ones – but somehow, it all made sense. Without even realising it, a smile grew on his face the more he kept looking at them... as if that is what happiness is, right that exact moment. Soon enough, the man looks at Changgu’s direction and after a pause, he starts to speak “Ah, forgive me for looking... I was just curious – what is your name?”. The warmth in Changgu’s tone seemed to have had an effect on the man, as he feels himself letting his guard down a little.

“He only asked a question... so why do I feel so taken aback... His voice... why is it so beautiful... I feel like my secrets would taint it”

As the man is lost in his thoughts, Changgu senses worry for something as he hesitates to answer such a simple question. The silence grows with each passing second but soon the food arrives to their table, which the children celebrate. Changgu continues “It is fine, let’s eat” as he smiles to reassure the stranger. He was in no place to push him further, because even Changgu couldn’t tell him his truth. Trusting the fact that he seemed to be a man of morals, the prince just continues to enjoy the company he had at that moment. Seeing his reaction, the taller man smiles unknowingly while looking at the one in front of him, for he has never seen someone so gentle.

Not even knowing what to call each other, there was both comfort in it and fear.