Chapter 3 - Hunting

The chatter of the operators was drowned out by the helicopter as you took your headset off.

A few hours had passed, and you were coming up on your drop zones in a few minutes.

Well, that would be the case if everyone had a parachute. However, you did not.

You gave your weapon to whoever would keep it dry for you, happening to be Kali, and decided to stick with your sidearms. Hopefully, they won't jam up on you, but there's only one way to find out.

The pilot had been notified of the plan, and after a lighthearted and somewhat concerned chuckle, he agreed.

You hit the button to your right and opened the ramp of the Chinook, letting you see the world below.

The helicopter was moving quickly, and the water seemed to only be a blue blur as you passed by. The red light above turned on, signalling that the pilot would tell you when you were good to go.

Your sunglasses and cap were tucked away into your pouches, and anything else that could come off was stripped.

Everyone else watched as you grabbed hold of the metal bar that hung overhead and looked down to the lake below.

They thought it was a stupid idea, but you had seen it done before.

Well, heard of it being done. You had never actually done this. It was a crazy idea that you and everyone else were fully aware of.

But then again, it was going to be fun. Jumping without a parachute, knowing that you would survive?

Max would be proud.

Then the light turned green.

You dived headfirst, plummeting to the ground at exponentially increasing speeds.

The air flowed through your hair, and the roar of the winds nearly deafened you while the exhilaration of the stunt filled your veins.

You were free.

You flipped forward, entering a pencil dive just before you made contact with the ocean surface.

Your feet make first contact, breaking the water tension and sending a rush up your legs before your body was fully encompassed in water.

You had sunken a few metres and allowed yourself another moment of peace and weightlessness before slowly swimming your way to the surface.

You shook your head free of water and took a breath of air as your head exited into the surface.

You looked around the area and saw the dense trees littering the shoreline with a few rocky outcrops.

You started swimming towards the closest shoreline when a feeling of forgetting something nagged in the back of your mind.

Your long freestyle strokes tore through the water, propelling you forward while your muscles were cooled by the water before they can warm.

When you reached the shoreline, you trudged over to a nice rock and sat down, taking another moment to look around as you caught your breath.

You also took the time to rack your brain for what you could have possibly forgotten.

The birds chirped their lively songs, and the sun slowly began to dry your drenched clothes.

You pulled one of your sidearms and dropped the mag into your hand, placing it on the rock beside you before pulling the slide back and checking if it was clear of water and debris.

You grabbed it by the slide and shook it a few times, watching as a few water droplets flew off.

You picked up the magazine and slotted it into the mag well before pulling back on the slide and letting it rack forward, loading a chalk bullet.