I Am A Product Of Art

Honestly, that response really hurt me.

I admit that I'm not like him. Successful. Rich. Influential.

But I am GLAD that I am NOT like him. Even though I do not earn a lot of money or drive a new car or own a house, I am glad that I am not like him. I'm simple yet I do not crush a person's happiness by saying that it's nonsense. For me, WRITING is a form of arts and I greatly respect the ARTS. Why?

Because definitely, art is the product of history and society.

If given the chance to talk to him again, I want to discuss that ART is the product of history because according to studies, forms of art such as sculptures, cave paintings and rock paintings from the Upper Paleolithic dating to roughly 40,000 years ago have been found, but the precise meaning of such art is often disputed because so little is known about the cultures that produced them. The oldest art objects in the world—a series of tiny, drilled snail shells about 75,000 years old—were discovered in a South African cave. Even carvings, oil pastels, sewn materials were evident even during the era of Jesus. Truly, art is  a product of history. When it was first developed, that we can never tell. The exact time when it began to arise, that we cannot truly conclude. But as far as I know, I truly believe that art has surpassed the flow of the times as it became a part of people's lives, transcending from generation to generation.

It is also a product of society because of the fact that generally, art is made in order to stimulate the thoughts and emotions of people. The society, composed of individuals, is the reason why the value of art is still alive from the past until the present. You see, people's ideas create arts. Simply put, people are the ones who create arts. Its forms, shapes, balance, styles and designs- these are all product of what people feel, think and do. While there are people in the society who have feelings to express, art will always exist. 

In this lifetime however, it is a sad reality that ART is taken for granted most of the time. Look at those who are born with artistic abilities- the painters, those who have exemplary drawing skills, the writers, the sculptors, the video editors, the designers, the event organizers, the cake decorators, the comic artists, even the singers, the dancers, the musicians, etc.- they are taken for granted.  This is evident with their low salaries because others look down on these jobs. Most often, they find it hard to reach the ladder of success with their talents alone. It must be true that if one is associated with artistic skills, he must face many challenges first before he can prove himself.

Let's face it. Most of the needs today are not in relation with art because it is considered as a form of entertainment only. What the present scenario shows is that we need engineers, doctors, nurses, technicians, businessmen, chemists, political leaders, lawyers, etc. This reflects that the world we live in are governed by individuals from the medical field, those who are smart in infrastructures or those people who have vast experiences in business-related matters.

But then, I do not believe that artists should die with their talents. As mentioned earlier, people are the ones who create arts. Thus, we must respect those who are inclined with their artistic skills because without them, life is boring. What if there are no painters, novelists, sculptors, musicians, actors or fashion designers? Do you think that your lives will still be as colorful as ever?

Also, you never truly know about a person's capability unless you dig deeper in his passion. Who knows? That doctor in your hospital might have chosen that profession but actually is more passionate about music. That chemical engineer might be more interested to show you his collection of paintings if you get to know him better. Or maybe, that CEO might rather become a well-known author if you give him a chance to write and publish his original short stories. Honestly, no one knows about the future of arts. But one thing is for sure: each and every person has an artistic ability that deserves to be unleashed. Like me. I love to write because it makes me happy. If someone loves to play the guitar, to go fishing, to dance on stage or to take care of special children, WHO AM I to say that what he does is NONSENSE? If what you do makes you happy, who the hell cares? As long as you do your thing as well as respect other people's passion, you deserve to be proud of yourself. Never underestimate other people's happiness.

So now, what artistic ability do you have? Why not share it? :)