AWAKE : NINETEEN

Y/N'S POINT OF VIEW

All of us are too shocked to do even more. The words that she said hang in the air between us, threatening to rob us of our sanity.

After a few seconds, she continues her revelation. "Yes, what I'm saying is true—that it's not just you ten, and those three guys are the only ones who're awake."

I had already suspected the possibility of what Irene said. But hearing it from someone else's mouth makes it true, and I hadn't anticipated the shock that it would give me. On the other hand, I'm kind of thrilled to know about this, because this could only mean that we don't need to bear the responsibility of saving all of humanity from this mysterious syndrome.

After all, we're just a bunch of teenagers.

"Where are they, then?" Jeongyeon asks. "Where are they hiding?"

Irene huffs. "Why would I say it? Like you've said earlier, you just met me. What reason do I have to trust you?" she asks, giving Sana and Tzuyu a meaningful grin.

I expect them to explode—well, more on Sana, like what she did to Tzuyu—but I was surprised when she just glared at her.

"Look," Chaeyoung says. "We're sorry. It's just that...in order for us to believe you, we need to see some solid proofs."

"She's right." Mina agrees.

Irene goes silent for a few moments, her gaze darting back and forth. She's looking at us like she's contemplating whether we can be trusted. I can't blame her, though. I kind of don't trust her, too.

She stays silent, just staring at us. I know that if I look inside her head, I will see every gear of her brain working. We stare back at her, almost unable to suppress the anticipation for her next words.

I was about to speak when she beat me. "You want proof?" she asked, her voice deadly serious. "Fine. I'll give you one. I'll bring you where we're hiding."

Jeongyeon smiles at her. "Thank you."

My companions have the same relieved expression that Jeongyeon has, except for Sana and Tzuyu. They're still not convinced that Irene is telling the truth. As for me, I'm on the neutral side. I still don't trust this new girl, yes, but on the other hand, I'm curious about the others that she's talking about. If they really exist—if there are really others who are awake like us—then we need to know.

It would make our situation so much easier.

If everything Irene says is true, there's only one way to find out. I just hope that we won't get killed in the process. Because it would be sucky. Big time