CHAPTER 11

Christmas Eve had come and gone faster than the four of them could have ever imagined. As soon as Addison arrived home on the twenty-first, things fell in to full Christmas preparation mode. More cookies (and cakes and pies, too) were made, all in preparation for Derek's mothers, and his youngest sisters, Jamie's, visit to the Seattle house. As Christopher had explained to Meredith, it was the first official Christmas in the new house, and everything had to be perfect.

Meredith tried as best she could to be helpful by helping keep Christopher entertained, or by wrapping the lavish gifts Derek had purchased for his many nieces and nephews (that needed to be shipped to their respective homes in three different states), or by measuring out ingredients for various recipes, or by, perhaps most importantly, keeping her snarky remarks to herself. She let Addison's tiny displays of jealousy slide, and she hid her own waves of jealousy when Derek and Addison exchanged a kiss. She simply didn't react; she was numb.

Carolyn and Jamie Shepherd had arrived early on Christmas Eve morning, dozens and dozens of wrapped packages accompanying the women and their luggage. They arrived earlier than scheduled, catching everyone off guard. Meredith had answered the door, still in her pajamas and borrowed bathrobe.

Merry Christmas, Carolyn chirped cheerfully. Derek and Christopher thundered down the stairs as Meredith returned the sentiment. Meredith reached out to Carolyn, grabbing several of the packages from her arms.

Mom! Derek said, grabbing some of the luggage from the porch. You're early; I sent a car

And we took a cab, big brother, Jamie said, stepping into the foyer and setting the packages down on the wooden floor. Now where is my nephew? she added, her smile identical to her brothers as she placed her hands on her hips.

Aunt Jamie! the little boy squealed, leaping into the air as she scooped him up. I've missed you! he exclaimed, snuggling closer to her as she hugged him. He hugged his grandmother with equal enthusiasm.

This must be Meredith, Derek's mother smiled, reaching out to pull Meredith into a hug.

Meredith stuttered a bit before responding. Ah, yes, I'm Meredith. Meredith Grey. Its very nice to meet you, Mrs. Shepherd.

Carolyn, Addison cooed as she floated down the stairs, perfectly dressed, made up and coiffed. Its very nice to see you again. Merry Christmas, she said brightly. Jamie, she added, nodding in the direction of Derek's sister.

Hello, Addison, Jamie responded, her tone of voice cool and flat. She scooped her nephew back up as she rolled her eyes, the look unnoticed by everyone but Meredith.

Carolyn clipped her words. Merry Christmas, Addy.

Well, Derek said, filling the semi-uncomfortable silence that filled the entrance of the house. Lets get you two settled in, and then we can sit down by the fire, and catch up?

Sounds like a plan, daddio! Christopher replied for the group as his aunt set him back down after several more hugs and kisses.

They situated the gifts beneath the enormous Christmas tree, and the luggage was shipped off to the other spare bedroom. Meredith dressed quickly in her room, brushing her hair, and wiping some concealer-powder on her wind-burned cheeks. She swished some mouthwash through her mouth for the second time that morning. She sighed as she stared into the mirror, thinking to herself, I'm not as pretty as Addison.

As Meredith walked down the stairs, she couldn't help but feel as if she were intruding on a private family get-together. Christopher talked excitedly to his aunt; he talked about his Matchbox collection, his school, and fishing, while Derek, Addison and Carolyn discussed the wedding (that will be taking place in March). Carolyn was tense; not in her words, but in her actions. It was barely noticeable, but Meredith was particularly adept at reading people. She paused briefly as she reached the bottom of the staircase.