On Our Way

That evening Cody and I were on our way to who knows where. We had rented a small  moving truck under one of Cody's fake identity's, and now he is loading his motorcycle into the back. I stayed quiet as I watched him, I really didn't know what to say. Once he had finished we climbed into the truck and started north towards Mane. We had been out of New York for about an hour now and neither of us had said a word. 

I sat with my knees tucked in my arms, there was a lot of room in the front of the truck, and I peeked over at Cody once more then said, "So Cody, about what I said earlier do you. . ."

He interrupted me by saying, "Do I believe it, well lets just say if I didn't you wouldn't be here right now."

I looked down at the floor and thought what he meant by that for a moment. I realized he meant I would be dead if he didn't, or worse. I looked at him once more with the corner of my eye and asked, "So what was your childhood like?"

"Why do you want to know?" He said staring straight at the road. He seemed to clinching his fist as I asked him, but I continued anyway. 

"Well, since we're probably going to be spending some time together I just wanted to know a little bit about you. How bought this, if you answer my questions I'll answer yours?"

I continued to stare at him as he kept silent. Then he spoke, "I grew up in Madagascar. My mom and dad were fairly wealthy. My dad worked with the government, and my mom was a designer. Mom was American, dad was African. They didn't like each other much, they stayed together only for the wealth they shared. When I was ten they sent me off to a boarding school in France. I hated France. Had to learn the French language. Well after a while, I got mixed with a group of bad boy's. I was a young teen then. I was the smartest in my class, especially in computer science. It started out as just something to help me get through certain levels on video games. But later the guys I hung with wanted to get some funds. So I helped um out. I hacked into the bank and transferred some Euros into their accounts."

"And that's what started your life of crime, am I right." I asked.

He only nodded his head slightly, then I continued, "Well, you don't have to think that way anymore. God's grace is sufficient, even for you."

He looked at me then turned his head and said, "Cody Smith Martin. That's my full name."

"Uh, I like it, and I was wondering, why Mary?" I asked about when he came up with a fake name.

"Well uh," He said as he scratched the back of his head. "It was my grandmother's name, first thing that popped into my head."

"Well, I like it, I always wanted a different name."

"Well you may just get your wish. I am going to have to make you a false passport. It you want to stay safe."

"Well, Mary it is then."