One

"Luke wake up!" I hear someone yell in my ear. "School is out for summer!" They yell again. I slowly open my eyes looking around. Haylee my friend is staring at me with a smile, "You fell asleep" She giggles. "Sorry" I mumble packing my stuff up.

We walk out of the classroom and into the almost empty hallway, a few students cleaning out there lockers. I sigh and rub my face with my free hand, my other hand is holding my other bag with my soccer things in it. Our last game is tonight and as the team caption I need to be ready, but I am so tired. I guess I will go home and take a nap. I bid Haylee goodbye even though I will see her at my soccer game, I honestly think she likes me but I could also be wrong. I really don't care if I'm honest, I wouldn't date her.

I get to my beat up truck and start it up, I throw my school bag in the front seat then my soccer bag. I start driving so I can get home to take my nap that I need. I get to the driveway and see my dads car and my heart drops. Great. Fucking great. I sigh and turn off my truck then get out with my stuff.

I get inside and quietly shut the door not knowing of my dad is awake or not. I take my shoes off and walk into the living room. My dad is laying there sleeping, a few beer cans on the floor and he reeks of alcohol. I quietly go to my room and shut the door. My game doesn't start yet I have like 40 minutes, that leave me with 20 to take a nap and 10 to get ready then the other 10 to get to the field. I set an alarm then lay in my bed and fall asleep.
———
Ding Ding. My alarm goes off waking me up. I quickly turn it off so I don't wake my dad up, I rub my eyes and sit up. I stand up, grab my soccer uniform and get changed. Once changed I walk out to the couch where my dad is. "Hey dad...my last game is tonight and I would like it if you showed up" I whisper. I walk away, grab my keys and walk out.

I get to the locker room and drop my bag on the bench, my team is getting ready. "Huddle up!" I yell. The circle around me and look at me and I look back. "This is our last game and I don't plan on losing, do you?" I ask. "NO!" They yell very loud. I nod my head at them. "We get out there and we do our best understand!" I yell. "YEAH!" They yell back. "Hands in guys" I say holding my hand out, they put there hands on top of mine. "Let's get out there and win!" I yell. "WOO!" We all yell and turn to get ready to run into the field.

We get out there and the crowd goes wild. I put on a fake smile and hype the crowd up for us. "Go Luke!!" I hear. I see Haylee standing up and smiling at me. I run to my team and they nod at me. "Let's do this" I mumble.

We are winning and the game is almost over, if we can score that would be game. I look over at my teammate who is kicking the ball down to the goal. I run ahead and he kicks it to me, I run down the field with the ball. I kick it hard and it flys into the net and the crowd goes into cheers. We won. I wanna be happy but I'm not, I never am anymore. My team picks me up, handing me the trophy. I hold it up and they all cheer. "LUKE! LUKE!" They chant. I grip the trophy in my hands at my teammates carry me around the field.
~~~
I walk out to my truck taking out my keys when someone calls my name. "Luke!" I turn around and see Haylee running up to me. "Hey! You did great!" He giggles hugging me. I don't hug her back and she pulls away. "Thanks Haylee" I say. She flips her long back hair away from her shoulder. "We should um, hang out durning summer ya?" She asked with a hopeful smile.

"Yeah sure" I say then get in my truck. I watch Haylee get into her car and drive off, I start my truck then drive off. The trophy sitting in my front seat is shining and I sigh.

I stop in the drive way my dads car still there and I hope he is still sleeping. I get out, grab the trophy and make my way inside. I set my keys down, take my shoes off and walk further in when I see my dad in the kitchen holding a mug.

"Where were you boy" He asked glaring at me. "M-My last s-soccer g-game was tonight, l-look we w-won" I stutter and hold up the trophy. "Did I say you could leave?" He snapped at me. I put the trophy down and chew on my bottom lip. "Y-You were sleeping I didn't want to wake you" I say nervously. "Come here" He demanded. I slowly make my way to him and he slaps me hard on my face.

"You think you can do what you want boy!" He yelled at me. The stinging on my cheek hurt and I look away from him. "N-No" I whimper. He grabs a handful of my brown hair and slams my head onto the counter. I cry out in pain, my head becoming dizzy. I fall to the floor trying not to pass out. "D-Dad..." I whimper looking at him. He's drunk again, he's always drunk... He opens a drawer and pulls out a kitchen knife and my eyes widen. "N-No d-dad please!" I cry scooting away.

The last thing I see before I pass out was him bring the knife down toward me.

"You're drunk again Jim!" My yells. I'm sitting on the floor listening to mom and dad fighting. "Shut the fuck up!" Dad yells back. Dad walks past stopping when he sees me. "D-Daddy?" I ask softly. He grabs me by my hair pulling me to my feet. "Ow! D-Daddy! It hurts! I cry. He slams my face into the wall knocking me out. "LUKE!" I hear mom scream.

"Okay, one, two, three!" Someone says. I get lifted up onto what feels like a bed. I hear a beeping sound in my head and everything hurts. My eyes flutter open and a bright light blinds me. Tears stream down my face. "It h-hurts" I whimper. I look over and see a man holding bandages. He looks over at me with a worried look in his eyes. "It's going to be okay kid" I hear him say. My head falls back and my eyes flutter shut falling into the darkness.
~~~
Word Count: 1208