Part 7 : Harry's Irritated

"Good morning, Dumbledore," Harry said politely, sitting next to the Transfiguration teacher.

"Morning, my boy. Lovely weather, isn't it?" Dumbledore joyfully remarked, very much looking like a goofy old man when he wasn't even that old.

But, Harry had to agree. It was a sunny day, no clouds in the sky and the wind blowing softly. "True, but I would prefer if you called me Harry, not my boy."

"As you wish, Harry," Dumbledore conceded, sipping on his morning tea. "Although, I expect you sat next to me for something other than saying good morning?"

Harry nodded, not surprised that Dumbledore noticed his slightly less than polite distance. "I came to talk to you about Tom Riddle."

Upon hearing Tom's name, several teachers at the table turned to the duo, curious to see the interaction between the youngest and oldest teacher of Hogwarts. Noticing the sudden tension at the teachers' table, some students stared at the teachers' table curiously, not that they knew what any of teachers were saying. They saw Professor Rosier's mouth moving, but no sound was coming through to the nosy students. What kind of charm was that?

"Why is it that you dislike such a bright student, Dumbledore?" Harry questioned, staring the old man down as he took a sip of his Earl Grey.

"My relationship with Mr. Riddle is between me and him," Dumbledore said firmly, not backing down.

"Not if it affects his academic life," Harry argued, setting his tea cup down. "I directed all of my students to you for Alchemy lessons, but out of all of them, the only one you refused to teach was Mr. Riddle. You do realize that this blatant bias you have may get you fired one day."

"I have no bias," Dumbledore shot back. "I really was busy when Mr. Riddle approached me. He just caught me at the wrong time."

"Oh, really? You have no bias? That's why you never give the Slytherins house points? That's why you always award the Gryffindor house with house points for the shallowest of reasons?"

Dumbledore's lips thinned out. "I don't have to explain myself to you."

"Well, if you don't explain, then I'll just have to assume that you are biased against Slytherins. I have a feeling, Dumbledore, that you are the type of man to value your sense of pride over all else, but don't you know that your view of what's good is opinion and subjective, not mortal law? If I catch you or suspect you of withholding Slytherins from educational rights again, Dumbledore, I will bring this up to the Headmaster and media," Harry said lowly, keeping a polite demeanor even when his eyes glared daggers into Dumbledore's.

"Are you threatening me, Mr. Rosier?" Dumbledore asked cooly, his eyes flashing.

"I don't make threats, I'm not that kind of person. Now, if you'll excuse me. . ." Harry stood up from the teachers' table and walked out of the Great Hall, calling out greetings to the students that said good morning to him. It was as if his argument with Dumbledore never happened.

If only Dumbledore's face didn't look so pinched, then no one would have known that something went down between the two.

Whispers were going through the Great Hall, the students wanting to know about the juicy gossip, but a stern look from Dumbledore stopped most of the whispers. Sighing when all whispers had not been stopped, Dumbledore too stood up and excused himself, leaving two empty spots at the teachers' table.

¤¤¤¤¤

"Good morning!" Harry exclaimed, beaming at the first years around him. Harry received echos and variations of greeting back, the 11-year-olds staring at him with innocent, excited, wide eyes.

"Today, we'll learn a bit about wandlore-- yes, Ms. Roman?"

"Why wandlore?" The Hufflepuff asked, cheeks cherry red as over one hundred students turned to look at her.

"Wandlore reveals a lot about witches and wizards. It tells where a persons strengths and weaknesses lie, also a little bit about the caster's personality. For this class, you will need to be aware of your strengths and weaknesses, so your weaknesses are as limited as possible and your strengths adapt to make up for your weaknesses. Now--"

A knock on his classroom door interrupted Harry. Withholding a sigh, Harry told his class to behave while he stepped out to address whoever was at the door. Harry wasn't the slightest bit surprised when a house elf was standing with a note in their hand, the elf telling him that the note was from the Headmaster.

Harry took the note and thanked the house elf, hurriedly excusing the elf so that they didn't start crying and hugging him. He was pleased to see, when he stepped back into the classroom, that his room wasn't a total wreck. A few students had stood up to wander over to a friend, and it was quite loud, but they were kids. Kids to kid things, and nothing was broken, so Harry was pleased.

"Quiet down, everyone. Let's return back to our seats and continue," Harry said, waiting until everyone was seated to say, "I see that chaos did not ensue without me. Good job." A few giggles drifted through the room, and Harry smiled before continuing his lesson.

"As I said, wandlore is telling of casters, so, right now, I need you all to take out a piece of parchment and write down your wand's length, wood type, selective characteristic, and core. If you don't remember one or any of these, say cedo and make a counter-clockwise circle in the air with your wand. Your wand's information will be displayed in the air in front of you. You may begin the assignment. The cedo incantation instructions is written on the board should you need it."

As the students began their assignment with excited murmurs, Harry opened the folded note the house elf gave him, rolling his eyes in amusement as he read it.

It seemed that Headmaster Dippet wanted to play peacemaker between him and Dumbledore, because he was invited for afternoon tea that Saturday.