"Can you promise me something, Yashiro?"

...

"I wish you knew what you mean to me, and how your name plays in my head, like a song on repeat when I try to sleep at night,"

...

A few days had gone by, and Yashiro's lungs had begun to mend themselves. No more flowers, no more blood, no more sleepless nights... and no more Hanako. She hadn't thought about the boy since the last time she'd seen him, but knowing she'd have to go face to face with him today had sent a little bit of dread into her heart. 

Had she done the right thing? I mean, she felt free, a feeling she didn't think she'd ever be able to feel again; but Hanako... he always came to irrational conclusions, so she hoped he wouldn't lash out at her for this. Gripping her backback tightly, she left her small apartment, waving goodbye to her mom on the way out. The walk to school seemed longer than it usually was, or maybe that was just in her head. After a while, she saw the sharp, jagged corners of Kamome Academy on the horizon.

Taking a deep breath, Yashiro puffed up her chest and began to make her way to the girl's bathrooms. 

...

Hanako was still worrying deeply about his human companion. Since his revelation, he hadn't been able to stop thinking about her; and since then, he had begun to feel slight stabbing at his unbeating heart- like someone had been stitching a quilt between his arteries and veins.

"Hanako! Are you here?"

He perked up. Could it be...?

Grabbing his hat, he placed it on his head and plastered his usual smile on his cold face.

"Yashiro?"

He heard her sigh as he opened the stall door. It really was her! He couldn't help himself, and he pulled her into a tight hug, feeling butterflies fly up, dancing on his ribs and in his stomach. His cheeks began to flush- or at least they felt like they did. 

"I didn't think I'd ever see you again, I'm so sorry I scared you, Yashiro. I hope you don't think of me as a monster, I don't know what I'd do without you," He choked out, holding onto the girl even tighter. 

"Hanako, I- I have something I need to tell you." She said, pushing him away slightly. Oh no.

He studied her face, and noticed it seemed different. She wasn't wearing her usual lop-sided smile, and her magenta eyes had seemed to lose their shine. He immediately felt all the butterflies in his stomach perish as a large, poisonous vine of dread began to sprout in his very core. 

"What happened-" He grabbed her hands. "You can tell me anything, what is it, Yashiro?"

"I... I loved  you," She looked away, her face riddled with guilt.

Is that what he had been feeling towards her? Love? "Yashiro, that's amazing! Because I-"

"No, Hanako. I loved, as in past tense. And you didn't love me back... you know how I know that? I had hanahaki. I'm sorry, I got the surgery. Don't make me regret coming here, please." Tears formed in her eyes as she covered her mouth, as if to prevent herself from saying something she'd regret.

His heart sunk, it sunk to the bottom of the ocean like an abandoned pirate ship. She had been suffering all this time, and he made her feel as if she couldn't say a word... This was a fate worse than death. He couldn't imagine the pain she had been in, staying silent, like a zipper that's stuck at the edge of your hoodie. 

"I'm.. I'm so sorry."

The boy pulled her into another hug as she cried. Her salty tears trailed down both of their uniforms as Hanako himself began to cry. He had missed his shot. He was such an idiot! He had left Yashiro with no emotions towards him, and the worst part, he had caused another person he loved pain, unnecessary pain. What was wrong with him?

"I hope you won't hate me for getting the surgery, I loved you, I really did. I think you're the first person I've ever really loved, so thank you for that." She smiled through her tears, wiping his own as she looked at him. 

He didn't deserve her, he didn't deserve anyone; and yet, he hoped she'd stay with him for the rest of eternity. He was in love with her, and she could no longer love him. Oh, how he wished he'd known sooner, before it was too late. That seemed to be a theme for him, being too late. He felt like the prince after Cinderella had run from him, helpless and alone. 

"Can you promise me something, Yashiro?" He whispered.

She nodded, holding up her pinky.

"Promise to stay with me, even after you die, even after everything I've done to hurt you. I swear to you, one day, I will make you love me again- If that's something you want still...."

She giggled, the sound ringing like bells in his ears. "I'd love that."

...