2- Lemons and Jam-e-Shirin

"Yeh .. Koi... Yeh.. Koi.. Baat hoti hai kyaa?" *sniff *sniff "Humesha meri cheezeyn de detin hain! Lamiya, Aarij ki nhi! Or in log ke pass apni cheezeyn nhi hotin?! Woh toreyn!!"

"Kyun aye yeh log humaarey ghar rehney ke liye?!" Lyba was wailing loudly inside her mother's room holding the broken pieces of her teapot and the Barbies that had lost all their previous glamour, ruffled up.

"Allah! Toh kyaa ho gaya Lybaa?! Tumhare pass kami hai kya cheezon ki?"

"Nhi! Main kyun dun apnaa samaan! Yeh kyun aye mere ghar?! Jungli, upadhar, Jahil log!" She didn't care for her mother's words as the anger continued to pour forth with her never ending tears.

"Toubah! Toubah!! Ayse nhi boltey hain!!! Tum bhi jab jati ho Phuppi Jan ke ghar rehne toh jungli hi ho jati ho naa?!" Mahrosh reminded her daughter raising her voice, "Unkey new set ke teen pyaley ek sath tum hi ne shaheed kiye they shayad? Abdul-Hadi ke pens tum le ati ho sarey... Uska video game tum se hi toota thaa naa? Or Choti Phuppi Jan ke ghar jaa ke naye table ka seesha tor diya tha, woh yaad nhi hai?"

Lyba swiped harshly at her eyes, "Ghalti se tora tha... Or Hadi ka pen Phupi Jan ne khud mujhe diya thaa, mangaa bhi nhi thaa maine! .." Her voice lost the previous loudness coming out in feeble protests humbled by reality.

"Arey, chalo hato! Aftar bana naa hai mujhe.." Mahrosh pushed the petulant girl aside.

"Haann Hannnn meri shikayat kabhi nhi suneyn gi!! Main toh aap ki beti hi nhi hun, pata haai mujhee!! Masjid se uthaa ke layin thi mujhe naa?!"

"Hmph!" Mahrosh waved Lyba off setting her duppata on her head and walked to the door calling after her, "Bakwas kam kar karo zara.. mera roza hai, chapal utar jaye gi abhi forun. Jaldi mun dho ke kitchen main aou.. Aftaar ka time honey wala hai or Asr nhi parhi toh parho--"

"Saira, Sawera bhi larkiyaan hain! Unko bulaa len!!!" Lyba pointed out at the injustice that only she had to work in roza (not really, but all is fair to say when tearing up).

"Woh mehman hain.. Or tum kon sa kaam karti ho? Sau nikamo ki ek nikami! Chalo rona band karo!"

No one could win an argument with their moms. Lyba was left to wipe her own tears and mourn the loss of her Disney tea pot and Pop star Barbie.

"Badlaa lun gi main Badlaaa!"

***

"Sch sch... Lyba? Lyyba?"

She was ignoring her pestering cousin Saira, though she wasn't really pestering, pretending to set the plates.

It was an unsaid rule amongst the cousins to always make this huge ass sad face and not talk to anyone when you got upset, then wait for someone to notice your oh so swollen eyes and keep asking again and again,

"Kuch hua hai kya? Bataou toh!"

To which you only reply, "Kuch nhi..." And look away keeping the secret.

That would only add to their curiosity making them pull their hair in frustration, the not knowing making their stomachs roll in anticipation.

"Achaa sirf mujhe bata do.. Kisi ko nhi bataoun gi.. Lyyba? Best friend nhi ho?"

The 'best friend nhi ho' is the reminder that that certain cousin is the one you'll be going to when you need to tell something big. Also a reminder that this was the cousin that always told you everything first, so it was only fair you do same. Alsoo this was the cousin that would help take your revenge with you, so better keep them informed.

Lyba turned her head to look at Saira, rolled her lips then mumbled her reason for being distraught adding, "Sirf tumheyn bata rhi hun." In the end.

"Oh.. Yaarr.. Waqi main yeh log bohat pagal hain.." Saira hissed then on she went
chughal-khoring some more about their cousins taking Lyba's side.