"Once upon a time" I guess this is how every individual's story starts. Same as we are. We also had our own once upon a time.
We'd always imagined ourselves in a world of fairytale. Where I'm the usual damsel in distress and you're the prince/the knight in shining armor (depending on your mood). And of course, the endings that we always had ends with a 'happily ever after'. Because who the heck wants a heart-rending ending right?

I really liked the idea of me running down through the stairs wearing a victorian dress and finding you standing right in the middle of it all with your usual masculine stance and daring look. It was all perfect. A picture of us living in an abandoned castle with no hindrances nor distractions. An idea of just you and me. But that was only an imagination was it? There are no majestic castles and crowns and royal gowns here. In our case, we only have the reality and the now. In reality, we cannot control where our fate is going to lead us, unlike how we can create our own imagination. There are no "just you and me" in this realm. Maybe that's the reason why we ended up with "sadly ever after" if ever there was such a phrase. Maybe we were so hooked with our own imagination that we forgot how to live 'real'. We became so idealistic and too naive that we thought that this would be as easy as counting one, two, three, four, five.
We were supposed to know the directions all the way back despite being too caught up with our own reverie. We were supposed to have our own happy ending like what we've always been dreaming.
———
FLASHBACK:
You're here right now standing in my front door staring at me as if you already know what I'm about going to say.

"I think it's about time to close the book."

The end.