I: Do You Delight In Torturing Me?

H:
He nauseates me. The scourge of my existence that is always there to ravage my day. He's my personal and reoccurring living nightmare. I could say that somewhere, deep, deep down, I had the littlest respect for him, but that'd be a lie. I absolutely, and completely, hate Draco bloody Malfoy, and nothing would change that.

I was on the train, concentrating on the scenery around me and the gentle, cadent clatter of the train's wheels as they rolled intermittently on their tracks. It was pouring down, quite heavily. The rainfall hit the window of my sleeper cabin. I veered my attention and scanned the droplets as they raced down the window, one overtaking the other second after second. It was relaxing to watch the world go by; with not a single distraction.

Oh my God. I thought, flickering my mind back to the case at bay.

I was on this train for one reason and one reason only. I was to be head girl this year. I was currently travelling back to Hogwarts, to then notify Professor McGonagall of my presence and then claim my dorm. By now, I am supposed to know who head boy is, so I can be prepared to...well...prepare myself. I hoped it may be Harry or Ron but they didn't particularly strike me as one to volunteer as head boy, let alone get accepted. So who knows? It may as well be a complete stranger who I haven't talked to in my life; that could be the most interesting option to be utterly honest. I still hadn't received a single letter on who head boy would be. Or perhaps I had and I never realised. I was quite busy this summer.

I looked at my lap and played with my hair as it fell to the sides of my face. I brought my knees up to my chin and looked out the window once again, but this time instead of focussing on the outside, I stared at the reflection in the window. There was a figure behind me, not directly, but outside my compartment, looking in, straight at me. I snapped my head in that direction and felt myself audibly gasp as I took the sight in. There he stood, in all his disgusting, conceited, voracious glory. Draco Malfoy. The demon that haunts me.

He unlocks my door until it's ajar enough for him to slide through sideways. In doing so, he plasters his face with a develish, all-knowing smirk. I swore to myself at that moment that I wouldn't let him get to me.

What was he even doing on this train, to Hogwarts? I didn't want to think about the worst in that scenario so I rinsed my brain rot away and glared into his eyes that were darkened with amusement.

"Hermione Granger! Now I did not expect to see you here," he began, fierce, sour words gurgling out of his flawless mouth, "you know, at first I thought my eyes were deceiving me."

He took a stride forward, coercing me to collapse and sink into my seat further, yet I then remember telling myself to not give into his savagery and I uncurl my back and cross my arms forcefully.

"But the more I consider it, I am not surprised you're returning to Hogwarts. You were always the nerdy type," he chuckled, crossing his arms too and lounging against the wall.

"Tell me Malfoy, do you consider yourself a hypocrite?" I inquire, smirking at him, with a sour undertone, straightening my back further and placing my hands on my knees.

"Wh-- No-- Why would I?" he spat in reply, his accent intense when uttering no.

"Why would you? Huh. Well for one, you barge into my compartment, unsolicited, insulting the fact I am sat on this train that is returning to Hogwarts, which is a one way trip might I add. But wait a moment. If you're here, I suppose you too are returning, are you not? Malfoy, I have got to be honest, you don't strike me as the nerdy sort." I deciphered, gazing profoundly into his eyes, communicating not only with my words, but also with my eyes.

"That's fair," he commenced, yet I knew he wasn't finished, he never surrendered this quickly, "I didn't ask for a bloody dissertation though, did I?"

"And I didn't ask for you to barge in, did I?" I retorted in a disgruntled manner, yet I was feeling quite amused as his face twisted with irritation.

"I knew you'd be delighted to see me," Draco uttered. I scoffed, regrettably. I looked back into his eyes and a tide of resentment surged over him. He scowled into my eyes. His grey eyes, goring mine with... I don't know what... pride mixed with an unidentifiable expression, I guess.

"I'm the furthest from that. After all, I am sure it's you who feels delight." I feuded.

"Delight in what, Granger?" he begged, nonchalantly, which made me want to get up and suffocate him, "I'm only here to say hi."

"Do you delight in torturing me, Draco?" I say, looking down into my lap and messing with the hem of my dress, as a means to dismiss Draco's attitude.

"Are we on a first name basis now..." he replied, and I could sense where his eyes were dabbling... the hem of my dress, "Hermione."

--------------------------

wooooo first chapter done. 🥸