cinco

arabella mclean

i ran and ran, until i got back to rose's house.

"rose! rose!" i yelled, letting myself inside.

"arabella, what are you doing here? aren't you supposed to be in school?" she asked putting her hands on my shoulders.

"i need the box. my box and anastasia's box." i said to her, panting. she nodded and went to get both of the boxes.

"here, now tell me, what's wrong?" she asked trying to call me down. i ignored her and opened my box again. I picked up the violin and saw something etched into it.

it said:
"to my arabella. start and never stop."

i put it down gently, and moved on.

"arabella! what is wrong?!" rose screamed. i looked at her and said:

"don't worry about it yet." i said, giving her a reassuring smile. she nodded back. i resumed opening the smallest box.

a necklace was inside. the necklace has a heart, and it opened. inside, was a picture of anastasia and i. the temptation to open anastasia's box increased. i resisted.

"i'm taking both of these boxes home. i won't open anastasia's." i said putting my stuff back together, and putting anastasia's box on top.

"be careful, arabella." rose said with a reassuring smile. we both knew she was talking about my mother.

"believe me, i will." i said giggling at the end.

"how are you even going to walk into your house without you mother noticing?" she asked. i could see the fear in her dark brown eyes.

"this is why i have windows, rose. i'll see you tomorrow?" i asked opening the screen door at the front of her house.

"i'll see you then, arabella. be careful." she said, holding the screen door open for me. i nodded and ran to my house.

when i got there, i saw my mother in the kitchen. i would have to wait until she went into another room so i could get to mine. so i hid, behind a bush, so no one would see me.

eventually, my mother left to who knows where, so that was the time for me to run and get to the back of the house. so that's what i did.

right as the treehouse came into view, i ran for it. i stood before it, remembering the day we moved here, the treehouse already in the backyard.

we had lived a few houses down before, but everything about the old house reminded my mother of my father.

when we first moved here, anastasia and i were seven. the treehouse was already built into the tree in the backyard. anastasia and i decided to ask out mother for some money, so we could upgrade it.

she gave us the money and lectured us about strangers and being careful, and let us go.

we upgraded the treehouse with two zip lines. one that goes to the window in my room, and the other that goes to the window in anastasia's room.

there was a basket at the bottom, to put stuff in if we couldn't carry it up the stairs imbedded in the bark. i put the two boxes in there, and headed up the tree.

once i got up there, there was a pulley, with a rope attached to it. attached to the rope was the basket. i carefully pulled on the rope, trying not to let anything fall. once the basket got up to the window of the treehouse, i took the items out and set the basket inside of the treehouse.

i then got some leftover rope, that we left in a box, and tied both boxes together. i then made it so there was piece of the rope sticking out, so i could tie it to the zip line.

the window to my room was open, as usual. after tying the boxes to the zip line, i grabbed onto the handles and stood on the ledge of the window. i let my body go, and and flew directly into my room.

i untied the boxes, and sent the zip line back into the treehouse. i closed the window, and set the boxes down.

i took out my phone and texted anastasia.

my text said:

"come home, i have a surprise for you.xx"

and for the first time, she immediately responded with:

"i'm on my way. leave your window open, i'm coming in through the treehouse.xx"

so i did.

a/n:
hello lovelies!! this chapter's a bit longer, so they'll be around this length. if you have any questions, comment them, and i'll answer them!! thanks so much, love you all.