Deanna adjusted the rims of her glasses as she walked along the corridor, trying to find her homeroom.  She reviewed the piece of paper given to her by the principal before she entered the room.  Right at that moment, she bumped into Jema, who was also a first year high new student.

Jema smiled at her, and Deanna's world stopped. The school bell rang so loud it felt like it's right next to her ear.

Deanna opened her eyes to the sound of her cellphone ringing beside her, tumatawag pala si Tots, kasama niya sa basketball
team.

Tots: papunta na kami diyan dude, sinundo na muna namin si Jema.
Deanna: sumama kasi tiyan ko dude, baka next time na lang. wala ako sa mood eh.

She lied, knowing na alam ni Tots ang totoong dahilan.

Tots: ganun ba? Sige. Next time na lang

Deanna ended the call and sighed. Pano nga ba maayos ang gulong ginawa niya?

Deanna: bakit ka pa kasi umamin?

Turning to her right, she saw a picture of her and Jema, holding Grover the retriever they rescued once upon a time.

Photograher: ok, one more photo.

He signaled with his fingers, and both Deanna and Jema hugged Grover, smiling.

Jema: buti na lang talaga naagapan natin siya
Deanna: muntikan na nga maanod. Teka..

She caught Jema's arm and looked closely.

Deanna: injured ka ah. Bakit di mo sinabi?
Jema: anuba, malayo sa bituka. Gasgas lang to.
Deanna: still, the rain and flood at lumusong ka pa sa tubig kanina, we should have it checked.

Sabay hila sa kanya sa ambulance.

Jema: over ka na ha. Di nga mahapdi.
Deanna: humor me

Jema relented.

Jema: makatingin ka naman parang ikamamatay ko na to. Ok fine, magpapa treat na. Ok na?

Deanna watched her walked to a medic and pointed at her arm. She crossed her arms across her chest, trying to calm her heart. Natakot talaga siya kanina nung natagalan si Jema umahon sa ilog, even with ropes attached to her waist, and Jema being one strong swimmer. Deanna almost lost her voice shouting and calling her. It was when Jema resurfaced, with Grover around her arms that Deanna let out a breath of relief.

That night, they talked about what happened.

Deanna: honestly, kahit napaka fulfilling ng ginawa natin for Grover, i got really scared that i'd lost you.

Jema rested her head on her shoulder.

Jema: won't ever happen
Deanna: talaga?
Jema: syempre naman, kahit sa hukay di kita iiwan, i'll haunt you forever.......
Deanna: sira ka talaga

Jema wound her arms around her, and Deanna caught her breath

Jema: i promise you, never kitang iiwan. Best friend till forever and ever..

Deanna kept silent.  Happy and sad at the same time.

Rewind to a few months earlier...

Tots: sinasabi ko sa yo dude, big mistake yang gagawin mo

She watched as Deanna typed in a keypad cellphone, her friend making a prank text to Jema.

Deanna: tripping lang naman. Gusto ko lang talaga malaman if kakagat ba.
Tots: still, di ba magkaibigan kayo? Magagalit yun
Deanna: ako'ng bahala. She'll never know.

But she did eventually. Siya na nagpasimuno ng prank, bakit parang sa kanya ang pinakamalaking joke?

Deanna sent her first prank text to her best friend: Hi! I'm Gino.

And it all went downhill without a break.