𝙛𝙤𝙧𝙩𝙮-𝙣𝙞𝙣𝙚

CHAPTER FORTY-NINE
"We Manage"
——

Daryl, Silas, Leah, Carver, Wells, Boone, and Pope watch the horde from the top of Meridian's perimeter wall

Daryl, Silas, Leah, Carver, Wells, Boone, and Pope watch the horde from the top of Meridian's perimeter wall. Leah observes the horde is moving in a peculiar pattern. "Why are they moving like that?" Leah wonders and Carver just shrugs his shoulders while Pope analyzes Silas who watches the horde intensely. "Wrong. There is a reason for everything" Pope answers before continuing to look at Silas who continues to watch the horde with worry and suspicion.

"What about you, son?" Pope asks as he pats Silas's back and Silas immediately tenses up at his touch and his choice of words. "Yeah," Silas breaths out as he shrugs Pope's hand away from him. "But I don't know why or how it happens. It's weird" Silas states before clearing his throat.

Carver suggest they take them down since they've taken down large herds before. "Till you almost bought it and I had to save your ass" Leah jokes before Daryl offers to lead the horde away from Meridian. Pope adopts Daryl's strategy, but sends Wells instead. Daryl and Silas lock eyes knowing something could go wrong if Wells meets up with the wrong walkers.

Wells leads the horde away from Meridian and radios the Reapers that he's doing fine. Walkers suddenly appear from all directions, and "a walker" comes up behind him and stabs him in the back before dragging the blade up causing him to scream in pain. Injured and surprised by the attack, the walkers overtake him and Wells screams as walkers devour him.

A storm rages in Alexandria and a group hides out in Aaron's house as the windows and doors rattle. Nabila watches after the babies while Connie tends to an injured Virgil. Rosita sees a piece of the perimeter wall blow down the street. "You think we're gonna be okay?" Gracie asks as she sits next to Roslyn, Judith, and RJ. "We always manage" Roslyn answers as she looks around the room at the scared faces.

"Wells, it's Shaw. Do you copy?" Leah asks over the radio as she tries to get a hold of Wells who has not replied at all since they lost contact with him. Leah insists on helping Wells, but Pope says he's already dead. Leah realizes Pope dispatched Wells as bait to confirm his hunch that the women leader and her people are controlling the horde. "He was soldier and sometimes soldiers fall" Pope declares while Silas stands up against the wall watching the argument unfold and realizes that the Reapers are slowly but surely losing trust in Pope but they're trying there best to keep bay trust.

"He was more than that. He was our family" Leah defends, but Pope says it was Wells' fate to die and Silas knew Leah just couldn't find it in her to agree with him.

Back in Alexandria, Aaron holds a meeting in the kitchen of his house and reports that the storm blew a panel off the wall and that a fire in the windmill is drawing walkers. He proposes that they split up into teams to fix the wall and stop the fire. Aaron and Magna volunteer to put out the fire while Carol, Connie, and Kelly head out to fix the wall. Rosita and Ivy stay behind along with Barbara, Dianne, Lydia, Virgil, and Nabila to defend the house and protect the children.